Green Tractor Talk banner

4066R 3rd function quick couplers issue

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Spartan Huntr 
#1 ·
Just had a 3rd function added to my 4066R. This was a JD kit and it has 1/4 couplers. Also got a 60 Wicked grapple which has 3/8 couplers. Finding 3/8 couplers for the JD is pain. The thread on the hard lines are 9/16 - 18. So I needed a 3/8 couple with 9/16 thread. I did find them under the faster coupling site. NV 38-38SAE M and F. What I was wondering is why I really can’t find much info on others having this issue. Either everyone is using frontier grapples or aftermarket 3rd functions with the right couplers. Did I mess up in getting the JD 3rd function?

#3 ·
#6 ·
Call or email (boltonhooks@gmail.com) Kenny at BoltOnHooks.com. I have the exact same grapple on the JD 3rd service on my 3046R. Awesome. Kenny made the hoses to order from the 3rd service to the split then onto the hydraulic block mounted on the FEL torque tube. Worked perfectly form stem to stern. Kenny will get you "hooked" up.

#7 ·
Yes the 9/16-18 thread your referring to is an ORB style, so finding new coupler to match that is not easy.

I've been selling the 1/4" males/females with adapters to go on the the 3/8 hose that the grapples come with and leave the tractor side as-is. The adapters aren't on the website, but I do have them.

#9 ·
#11 ·

Everything Attachments 60 inch two-lid grapple. I went with the 60 inch since you get more separation of the lids but then get the end-most tine close to the next nearest inner-most tine for a lot of added strength. The 60 inch weighs a little more, but that additional weight did not overcome the positives mentioned.
Love it. Built to work hard. I use it to handle logs since i work mostly by myself, process firewood, and move split wood to the house in the fall/winter/spring.

Reactions: Kennyd
#14 ·
Where did you get them ? Do you have a link or exact part numbers to order ?

#15 ·
Refreshing this old post for some help please.....

I just ordered my EA 60 inch grapple. Think it is the same as in the pic. Two lids, etc. When ordering they wanted detail on my couplers. During the conversation we spent all of our time debating the point they were both female on my tractor (4052R - 440R - BW 16414 hard lines) versus talking at all about the sizes. They simply said 1/2 inch is standard and i said..."ok, if you say so".

To be honest, I kind of thought that the popularity of the 4052R and 4066R would result in EA knowing specifically what they needed. I am an amateur on Hydraulics that is for sure. But, they clearly wanted to be told what to do versus to think about it. I understand that...i am guessing a lot of things arrive and don't connect and they don't want to be getting screamed at. So, with that in mind.....

My question..... based on above.... is it as simple as me telling them to use:

NV 14-385 SAE M connectors which i believe are the 1/4 inch?

Is this what plugs in to the AM 102487?

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks all!

#16 ·
My question..... based on above.... is it as simple as me telling them to use:

NV 14-385 SAE M connectors which i believe are the 1/4 inch?
From what was posted above that looks correct, however I am not a hydraulics expert like @Kennyd and others there.

I would just tell them you have 1/4" female connectors on the tractor and go from there.

Since I tagged Kenny, he will likely stop by and give us the correct answer.

To be honest, I kind of thought that the popularity of the 4052R and 4066R would result in EA knowing specifically what they needed.
You would think so.

I think all of JD's 3rd function kits for everything up to and including the 4 series is 1/4". The only variable would be if you've using an aftermarket 3rd function kit.

Reactions: Kennyd
#17 ·
others on here have posted that EA will ship your grapple with the correct John Deere end connections if you ask them to. They are 1/4".

#19 ·
I will send some pics later. But upon further digging i think this is as simple as 1/4 ISO 5675 AG "MALES" I thought the male and female had different part numbers it appears they don't. I google the part with "male" in the search and it appears it is what fits in to what i have. JD AM102487 is a 1/4 ISO 5675 AG Female.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.