Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the 4066 for almost 4 years now and always thought that the brakes weren't that great. You really have to stand on them to have any effect. I figured thats how tractors were. Our 5115M just got delivered and those brakes are what Id consider normal and miles beyond the smaller tractor.

Does a hydro transmission just have sucky brakes or should I have the dealer take a look?

·
Premium Member
4052R HOOS, 440R MSL, 485A
288 Posts
Is the issue with the brakes stopping the tractor while moving or keeping the tractor stopped? I don't have either with the brakes on my 4052 -- they work as I expect. If I am not careful, I can give myself whip lash. I've taken to stopping with the accelerator pedal. For keeping the tractor stopped, light pressure on the brake pedal and the tractor stays put, even on inclines where the tractor wants move on its own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 4066R brakes are fairly rigid but work fine, though usually am only using them when changing ranges on the hydrostatic, and they have gotten a little better with use. They’re nowhere near as easy as vehicle brakes but are on par with all the mid 90s and older ag tractors we had - Massey-Ferguson, Case, Leyland, etc. Most took some oomph to use the brakes, and even more if pedals were locked together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 4066R brakes are fairly rigid but work fine, though usually am only using them when changing ranges on the hydrostatic, and they have gotten a little better with use. They’re nowhere near as easy as vehicle brakes but are on par with all the mid 90s and older ag tractors we had - Massey-Ferguson, Case, Leyland, etc. Most took some oomph to use the brakes, and even more if pedals were locked together.

Appreciate the feedback. That sounds like what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had the 4066 for almost 4 years now and always thought that the brakes weren't that great. You really have to stand on them to have any effect. I figured thats how tractors were. Our 5115M just got delivered and those brakes are what Id consider normal and miles beyond the smaller tractor.

Does a hydro transmission just have sucky brakes or should I have the dealer take a look?
You’re right, they are pretty mediocre. I too have to really stand on them and if I park on any sort of slope, I have to pull on the parking brake as hard as I can. My 4066r is the same vintage as yours and when I asked the dealer to check them out after I bought it, he said they were working fine. I guess I have a different definition of fine.

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
395 Posts
My 4044m is a power reverser, not a hydro. The brakes are, in my opinion, adequate. Not great…. but at least the parking brake is great which is more than I can say for some tractors I have owned. So I doubt being a hydrostatic transmission is the issue. Previously I had a 5e series, a tractor known for lackluster brakes and it would stop on a dime. You could lock up the brakes on asphalt. For whatever reason there seems to be some variation in stopping power even among the same series tractors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts