Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I was hooking up my hay mower using the Hitch Assist feature. Everything was going fine. Using the buttons, I was moving the tractor backwards and forward, and moving the arms up and down. It was taking a bit longer than usual as I was having some trouble hooking up the PTO shaft. All of a sudden the tractor died. I started it up again and from then on everything worked as normal. Any ideas as to why the tractor died? Could the extended idling time have something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
That’s never happened on my 4044R. I’m not sure how much time you’re talking about, as I’ve had issues getting the pto connected as well. I use the hitch assist all the time. It’s the best option they ever put on a tractor.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Probably timed out. Maybe I work faster but I have never had that happen

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know the Hitch Assist feature would kill the tractor if it timed out. Huh.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I personally do not hook up a PTO driveshaft with the engine running. Buried in the many pages of safety stuff at the beginning of my tractor manual, it says "Stop the engine and be sure the PTO driveline is stopped before making adjustments, connections, or cleaning out PTO driven equipment." Maybe your tractor was just concerned for you.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I agree. With the engine off, there is some "slack" in the shaft that makes it easier to make the connection by being able to turn the shaft a little.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my old habit of idling the tractor while hooking up the PTO shaft will have to change. I didn't realize that there is a little play in the PTO when the tractor is turned off. That would help a lot. My old 1965 Ford 5000 didn't have that play so I relied on moving the PTO shaft to the correct position. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts