Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a similar tractor with Nokian snow tires? Your opinion would be most useful.

How good is the traction of the Nokians in snow? Are they acceptable as a summer tire? (Light to medium crushed stone driveway maintenance with a box blade, light land clearing... Very little deep mud.)

I am looking to order a new 4066R Cab tractor. It will be used with a loader mounted 72" hydraulic snowblower. My experience using this blower on a JD 110 TLB is that R4 tires with front chains has barely enough traction. (Rear chains will not fit on the 110 TLB without spacers, where would make the rear width greater than the blower.)

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Are you sure the hydraulics on the 4066R will run that front blower? Secondly, you are going to need a significant amount of rear ballast, probably in the neighborhood of 1500# or so. Personally I think you will need chains, possibly on all 4 wheels. The most snow I have dealt with is 13 inches and the R4 tires with no chains handled it fine, but I don't get much snow otherwise. Some of the others on here have run rear chains, but I can tell you that the clearance is tight. I just added 5 1/2 inch spacers and chains would no longer be a tight fit. At this point, I have no plans to run chains.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to all that replied!

kevinl, gorgeous tractor! Do you have any traction issues with the Nokians in snow/ice? Are the Nokians narrow enough that chains could be used without spacers?

ddinham, you are very correct, the tractor hydraulics would not be adequate for the blower. I use a 25 gpm Prince pump with a reservoir tank on the 3-point hitch and run hydraulic lines to the loader.

Chains would work in my application, BUT spacers would make the tractor wider than the blower. I suspect that would not work very well!

Joel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you sure the hydraulics on the 4066R will run that front blower? Secondly, you are going to need a significant amount of rear ballast, probably in the neighborhood of 1500# or so. Personally I think you will need chains, possibly on all 4 wheels. The most snow I have dealt with is 13 inches and the R4 tires with no chains handled it fine, but I don't get much snow otherwise. Some of the others on here have run rear chains, but I can tell you that the clearance is tight. I just added 5 1/2 inch spacers and chains would no longer be a tight fit. At this point, I have no plans to run chains.

Dave
Will probably use some sort of pto driven, three point hitch mounted hydra-pack to run the blower.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
What does it say under the Red Tape..??

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you to all that replied!

kevinl, gorgeous tractor! Do you have any traction issues with the Nokians in snow/ice? Are the Nokians narrow enough that chains could be used without spacers?

ddinham, you are very correct, the tractor hydraulics would not be adequate for the blower. I use a 25 gpm Prince pump with a reservoir tank on the 3-point hitch and run hydraulic lines to the loader.

Chains would work in my application, BUT spacers would make the tractor wider than the blower. I suspect that would not work very well!

Joel
I have not run chains and I’m not sure you would need them with 4wd. I’m sorry to say we actually had no snow at all last year so I can’t say on snow traction, works fine in mud. Very nice on road transport.

John Deere 4066R

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not run chains and I’m not sure you would need them with 4wd. I’m sorry to say we actually had no snow at all last year so I can’t say on snow traction, works fine in mud. Very nice on road transport.

John Deere 4066R
Well you're prepared if you do get snow!. I really like your setup.:)

If Nokians did not need chains in my application I'd be ecstatic...that is exactly my goal. But...it will be a close call. My driveway has 2 areas of steep, but short inclines. I can climb them with the blower.loader raised, but not with the loader in float.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, you could use these on the rears...not chains but better than none at all. I used them for several years on my GT235 with a front blower. Provided pretty good traction on my slightly sloped asphalt drive, especially considering the GT had only one wheel drive. With a locked rear diff, these would have been superb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's an interesting idea, Steve.

Studs would help with traction on hard packed snow and on ice...which pretty much describes our driveway. And being screw-in the studs could be swapped out if need be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kevin, I’m not seeing any pictures? Or is it just me?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kevinl, are there spacers on the rear wheels (other than the first 5-1/2" that is standard issue)?

A quick hijack (of a thread I started! :) ). It looks like you have the non self leveling loader. What are/were your thoughts on NSL vs. MSL?

·
Registered
155 Posts
kevinl, are there spacers on the rear wheels (other than the first 5-1/2" that is standard issue)?

A quick hijack (of a thread I started! :) ). It looks like you have the non self leveling loader. What are/were your thoughts on NSL vs. MSL?
No spacers, I have nsl loader. I have never tried the self leveling, I’m happy being in control.

John Deere 4066R

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Kevin, that is a real nice unit!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts