Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install a horn on my 4066R Open Station tractor but the only one I can find (LVB24851) says it is for Cab tractors only. This thread

talks about another kit (BLV10359) but I am not sure it is for open stations either. Apparently it is the waterproofing of the horn button that makes the difference between a cab model and an open station model.

Does JD make a horn kit for open station Series 4 tractors? If so, what is the JD part number?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I am looking to install a horn on my 4066R Open Station tractor but the only one I can find (LVB24851) says it is for Cab tractors only. This thread

talks about another kit (BLV10359) but I am not sure it is for open stations either. Apparently it is the waterproofing of the horn button that makes the difference between a cab model and an open station model.

Does JD make a horn kit for open station Series 4 tractors? If so, what is the JD part number?

Thanks.
The one I put on my 4066R cab has rubber around it . I believe the purpose is to weather proof it.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am about to mount the horn button on my OOS 4066R's dash. When I worked on cars and installed switches, you pushed the electrical part of the switch through the dash from behind, the screwed on the hex nut to secure the switch in place. Then when you installed the knob (or button in this case) on the front of the dash, the metal flange of the knob would cover the hex nut thus putting the flange flush with the dash. HOWEVER, with this horn kit the metal flange does not cover the hex nut.

So how do you cover the hex nut on the front of the dash, or is the hex nut somehow supposed to be installed behind the dash and screwing on the horn button onto the switch is what actually secures it to the dash? The instructions just say mount the button assembly. Anyone have any pictures?

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had my dealer install the factory John Deere horn kit on my 4066R when I purchased the tractor new in 2017. It came with an anemic jap car(Toyota/Honda) sounding single horn. I replaced that unit with a dual horn found on EBay. Sounds so much better! The horn button has a rubber cover over it so I’m sure it is waterproof with or without a cab. If it’s still the single horn unit you’re going to hate the sound. It was pretty simple to add the dual horns. Now it sounds just like my big American GM truck when you hit the horn button!

·
Registered
3046R, 320R loader, 375A BH, 72D MMM, 4406H BB, County Line Landscape Rake, Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer
133 Posts
The kit is for either cab or OOS. Not sure why it only says cab. The one with the rubber waterproof cover is in my cab tractor. And us244963 is right. Mine sounded like a 1968 Beetle before I replaced the horn itself with a Wolo unit. At full RPM you couldn't even hear it over the engine.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have considered replacing it, but seldom use it, so just have not spent any time thinking further about it.

Dave

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey us244963:

The picture you posted of the button on the dash shows the metal facia siting flush on the dash. Did you put the hex nut that holds the button to the dash on the inside of the dash or is it under the metal facia? The reason I ask is because my metal facia will not cover the hex nut and thus the metal facia will not sit flush on the dash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my cab tractor I installed the hex nut on the under side of the plastic dash. The install looks the same as the picture us244936 posted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks IA Rider. That was my alternate plan since the horn button itself screws onto the switch to hold it in place. But I was concerned that after many, many pushes of the button the hex nut behind the dash would loosen and I would have to tear apart the entire dash again to get to it to re-tighten it. Not fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey us244963:

The picture you posted of the button on the dash shows the metal facia siting flush on the dash. Did you put the hex nut that holds the button to the dash on the inside of the dash or is it under the metal facia? The reason I ask is because my metal facia will not cover the hex nut and thus the metal facia will not sit flush on the dash.
Hi Packick. the hex nut is on the under side of the plastic dash. I wouldn’t worry about it ever coming loose- mine has been on for five years now and no issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Packick. the hex nut is on the under side of the plastic dash. I wouldn’t worry about it ever coming loose- mine has been on for five years now and no issues.
Thanks us244963. That is the only installation configuration that makes sense. It is completely opposite of the way I used to install switches in my cars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got a chance to install the John Deere horn kit (BLV10359) on my 4066R. While the instructions were quite good, I only ran into a couple of snags.

First, I removed the orange throttle "rubber" handle thinking that the dash needed to slice over its shaft. But that ended up not being necessary. Removing and installing the rubber accordion-style cover over the steering wheel's shaft was a bear. I also discovered that I did not have to remove the dash completely. Once the 4 bolts holding the dash were removed and the dash lifted up, there was enough room to drill the hole for the horn button and to install it. This meant that I didn't have to unplug any wire harnesses.

The final problem was re-installing the cowl. The secret, I discovered, was that the rectangular tabs towards the bottom inside of the cowl on each side fit into rectangular slots on the frame. Once inserted, the cowl slides right down into place.

Mission accomplished. To me, the horn sounds like the Road Runner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts