Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 4066R & 2021 Z530R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing my 4066R, and when cleaning the front right rim I noticed the sponge got stuck and tore. I then saw this, my finger nail grabs it pretty hard. I assume its the the seam when they welded the rim... but none of the other wheels have that seem and it seems a bit obnoxious. Would you be concerned? Ive had it just about 1year, Ive washed it a few times but never noticed it before. Thoughts? Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Track Bumper

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
What does the other side look like?
That is where the rim is fused/welded together when made, if its not leaking I'd say it's OK.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Some seams are rougher than others but a crack of any size or break in the seam that was dangerous would be leaking profusely.

·
Registered
2020 4066R & 2021 Z530R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's defective and it looks like it came that way, unless you repainted the rim yourself. If you bought it new, call the dealer for a free replacement under warranty.
Havent repainted, tractor has 70hrs roughly. I emailed him the pictures this evening.

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
I meant the opposite rim, I understand you didn't break the tire down to inspect the inside.

·
Premium Member
12,717 Posts
When you really zoom in on the picture, it looks more like a failure than a seam as the butt joint fades out of sight as you move across the wheel towards the center and inside of the wheel. There is also metal shards where it was cut which is likely what tore the sponge. Pretty sloppy quality.

Looks like its a 16.5 wheel but they offer quite a few different widths on that 4066r machine. I have seen on wheels where the seams are "filled" with a bondo type filler after they are welded and ground so they appear smooth and it conceals the seam. Appears whoever was making this wheel either ran out of bondo or they were in a hurry to get to home or wherever they were headed............and apparently they followed the Q.C. out the door on their way...........after they sprayed it yellow..........

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
319 Posts
What does the other side look like?
That is where the rim is fused/welded together when made, if its not leaking I'd say it's OK.
Are you saying that rims are not stamped one side at a time and then welded together , front and back? That they are formed and rolled into a circle and then welded? I have never seen a welded seam on a rim before. Maybe I need to look closer. Just asking for information purposes and learn something new.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
turn it in for a warranty claim. no other reason not too. i'm sure ur dealer will give u a new rim.

·
Old Pa-pa
13,548 Posts
Went look at mine (2019 4066r) no evidence of what is happening on yours.
It definitely would bother me seeing that, imho.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Are you saying that rims are not stamped one side at a time and then welded together , front and back? That they are formed and rolled into a circle and then welded? I have never seen a welded seam on a rim before. Maybe I need to look closer. Just asking for information purposes and learn something new.
Came across this video showing Ag wheels being made - these have a seam. I have no idea how JD rims are manufactured; I just found the video interesting.

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Came across this video showing Ag wheels being made - these have a seam. I have no idea how JD rims are manufactured; I just found the video interesting.
Great video, this is exactly how I think these rims are made.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 1999 4300 has welded rims, just like the OP, but much neater. I'll try to get a photo of one.
I'd try for a replacement, put it to them that you don't want grandkids and toddlers cutting their fingers on the sharp edges etc... and as @Kennyd says, if they don't come to the party it's no biggy, just tidy it up with a Dremel and a gallon of paint from the dealer (they'd give you a tin of that for nix).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,340 Posts
I'd be after a new rim.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Anyone else noticed that the only PPE used around the molten metal was thin gloves?

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
I am in the "it looks like it's cracking, I want a new one" group.
I would be taking wheel & tire to my dealer ASAP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts