Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tractor just shut off when I got off. I went back to it. Turn the key and nothing happens. Got power, made sure I am in neutral. Turn the key it it won't turnover? I check under the seat to make sure the sensor was plugged into the bottom. I sometimes do get out in gear. But I was about 2' away when it turned off. Not sure what to try next? help please. :) Thanks

·
Administrator
22,246 Posts
Check your battery and all four connections. Not just visually, but physically. Deere batteries have been known to die from “Sudden Death Syndrome.”

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
568 Posts
The tractor just shut off when I got off. I went back to it. Turn the key and nothing happens. Got power, made sure I am in neutral. Turn the key it it won't turnover? I check under the seat to make sure the sensor was plugged into the bottom. I sometimes do get out in gear. But I was about 2' away when it turned off. Not sure what to try next? help please. :) Thanks
Are you sure the PTO is turned off? The tractor will die when you leave the seat and will not restart or even allow the starter to be engaged if the PTO switch is on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure the PTO is turned off? The tractor will die when you leave the seat and will not restart or even allow the starter to be engaged if the PTO switch is on.
Thanks will check

Check your battery and all four connections. Not just visually, but physically. Deere batteries have been known to die from “Sudden Death Syndrome.”

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked all of that and nothing. I checked all the fuses. All good. I jumped the seat switch still nothing. All the lights work, gas gauge and the display comes up with the hours. Just nothing no clicks when I turn the key at the starter nothing? I'm stumped! Neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Help us out here. Tell us about this tractor. What type of transmission? How are errors shown on this tractor? Are you seeing any error codes (flashed with light or on display)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Help us out here. Tell us about this tractor. What type of transmission? How are errors shown on this tractor? Are you seeing any error codes (flashed with light or on display)?
it is a 2016 John Deer 4105 H165. It has 81 hours, I bought it 2 weeks ago and it's been running like a champ. No issues. Hydro Transmission, I don't see any flashing lights on the display. It has what looks like a H on the left side of the hours but nothing else. I will check again though when I go back out. The PTO pull knob is in, It is in neutral and I am sitting in the seat when trying to start it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went back out tried to jump it. Still nothing. When I turn the key to on the battery sysbol and what looks like a light bulb with 2 arrows with a water symbol in the center and the 81.9 hours comes on. Go to start nothing, No clicks, slow start just nothing. All those lights seem to be what its been doing all long.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thanks. You shouldn't need to put an eHydro tractor in neutral to start it, unless your tractor is different from my 2 eHydro tractors.

You might try swapping relays K3 (starter relay) and K4 (engine pre-heat relay) in case the starter relay has failed. You don't need a good Engine Pre-Heat relay to start.
Font Line Rectangle Material property Parallel

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
315 Posts
Thanks. You shouldn't need to put an eHydro tractor in neutral to start it, unless your tractor is different from my 2 eHydro tractors.

You might try swapping relays K3 (starter relay) and K4 (engine pre-heat relay) in case the starter relay has failed. You don't need a good Engine Pre-Heat relay to start.
View attachment 813891
The 4105 isn’t an eHydro. It has a 2-range mechanical hydro similar to the 3E series, which you must put in neutral to start. Just a small misunderstanding

Reactions: JD Driver

·
Administrator
22,246 Posts
Did you physically remove the battery connections, clean, and reinstall? How about a meter across the battery terminals when you try to start it?

You are describing a bad battery or connection pretty well.

You could try the old “jump the starter with a screwdriver” trick. Caution!!! Make absolutely sure the machine is in neutral and chocked. You don’t need the tractor running you over.

This will test the battery. If the starter is good, the engine will crank. If not, something in the start safety string has got you.

I’m still betting on the battery. Tractors don’t just quit when you are away from them as you described.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you physically remove the battery connections, clean, and reinstall? How about a meter across the battery terminals when you try to start it?

You are describing a bad battery or connection pretty well.

You could try the old “jump the starter with a screwdriver” trick. Caution!!! Make absolutely sure the machine is in neutral and chocked. You don’t need the tractor running you over.

This will test the battery. If the starter is good, the engine will crank. If not, something in the start safety string has got you.

I’m still betting on the battery. Tractors don’t just quit when you are away from them as you described.
I did not take them off and clean. Just grabbed them to make sure they were not lose. It was running at the time it just shut down, would a bad battery make it do that? I thought the alternator would keep it going? Either way I will take them off and clean then reinstall. You guy's are great thank you so much for the help.

·
Registered
568 Posts
When a tractor is running, it should be receiving plenty of power from the alternator to keep it running regardless of battery condition.

Kevin - when you turn the key switch from OFF to RUN (not Start) do you hear a loud clunk as the fuel shutoff solenoid retracts?

Does anyone know if this tractor has a diagnostic mode that lets you look at discrete inputs like the neutral safety switch (like you can with a 3R/4R model tractor)? If not, I think you are going to need to remove the connector from this switch and use a multimeter to see if the switch is opening/closing when you go in/out of the neutral position on the range selector.

I sure wish we had a schematic.

·
Administrator
22,246 Posts
When a battery goes to a dead short condition in a cell (read sudden death syndrome), an alternator may not keep the tractor alive. It really depends on the machine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When a tractor is running, it should be receiving plenty of power from the alternator to keep it running regardless of battery condition.

Kevin - when you turn the key switch from OFF to RUN (not Start) do you hear a loud clunk as the fuel shutoff solenoid retracts?

Does anyone know if this tractor has a diagnostic mode that lets you look at discrete inputs like the neutral safety switch (like you can with a 3R/4R model tractor)? If not, I think you are going to need to remove the connector from this switch and use a multimeter to see if the switch is opening/closing when you go in/out of the neutral position on the range selector.

I sure wish we had a schematic.
I hear something and my wife says she hears something till I turn the key back off. I'm a little def so I don't really hear it, but no matter what my wife says it's not selective hearing. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I hear something and my wife says she hears something till I turn the key back off. I'm a little def so I don't really hear it, but no matter what my wife says it's not selective hearing. :)
Thanks, Kevin. Have you had a chance to swap the K3 and K4 relays?

Any chance you could do the following?

1. Remove the cell caps from the lead acid battery (unless maintenance free) and add distilled water to any cell that is so low that the battery plates are exposed.
2. Charge the battery with a battery charger and remove the charger.
3. Measure the voltage across the positive/negative battery posts with everything turned off.
4. Turn on the headlights and measure the voltage across the positive/negative battery posts with the lights on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update guys. Thank you all for helping me. I could not figure this out and broke down and got the local John Deere Dealer to send out his mechanic to my house. He was wonderful. He to was stumped after chasing wires, testing the battery ect... He called the head mechanic. He said well you tried everything except the PTO button. He took it apart, cleaned it wire brushed all the connections and well and behold it fired up! then if he just touched it sometimes it won't turn over. So he order a new $33.00 part that will be in tomorrow. He then changed my oil, lubed all the fitting, Changed all the filters. Life is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.