Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 4105, bought used and runs well. However, the fuel level readout bounces all over and I am never sure how much fuel remains. Is this a function of the bouncy ride of a tractor or is there a malfunction of the sensor. Not really sure how it all works. I always try to keep level way above 1/2 full just to be sure.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Here is what your fuel gauge looks like......I would suspect it could be a bad wiring connection on the sending unit, or the sending unit itself is defective.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Reactions: Grass Roots Farmer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacement of sending unit?

Is replacement tricky? I could always use a long stick to check the fuel level, like I did for my Ferguson TO-20 1953 tractor?

Thanks for the link to the visual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 4720 that bounced around also. Sometimes it worked and other times it said it was empty. All I found wrong with mine was a loose connection on top of the sending unit. Once everything was clean and tight it worked just fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a JD 4105, bought used and runs well. However, the fuel level readout bounces all over and I am never sure how much fuel remains. Is this a function of the bouncy ride of a tractor or is there a malfunction of the sensor. Not really sure how it all works. I always try to keep level way above 1/2 full just to be sure.

thoughts?
My 4105 isn't erratic like you are talking about (doesn't bounce back and forth) but it isn't accurate. Hasn't been since the day I purchased it. Will read almost empty but I can only put about 5 or 6 gallons in the tank before its full.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have 4105 also and my gauge as has already been stated isn't erratic.

only time I know what my fuel level is is when I am on level ground, until I understood it there were many times I was out brush cutting my hills and looked at the gauge and freaked cause I thought i was 1/4 tank, but once off the slope it reads correct

1 - 6 of 6 Posts