Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 hydrostatic 4110 tractor w loader and mid mount mower died while cutting field the other day. Cranks over but won't fire. I came back in evening and it fired up, drove back to house then quit, it started one more time and only ran briefly.
I was thinking clogged fuel filter, so I put in a new fuel filter. Manual says it is self bleeding and I inspected return lines at injectors and they are in good shape and not leaking. Still cranks but no firing. starter / glowplug 10 amp fuse is good.
I started loosening hoses and turning over engine to see how far fuel is getting. Fuel filter is full, i took off metal hose at injector to find no fuel. I removed fuel hose from pump to where it joins the injector plate and fuel pushes very slowly as engine turns over. so it seems my issue is in the injector pump / manifold area.....
Is there some sort of fuel solenoid that controls this injector block to allow it to turn on and convert from low pressure fuel to high pressure fuel to go into metal tubes then to injectors?
Any Thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
There should be a solenoind that cuts the fuel off to kill motor.
I'd look there first......typicly you can visually see them move when the key is turned.

Check for power there if its not moving.

I know nothing about the pumps except the 3 or 4 I've bought over the years for various trucks weren't cheap.
Hopefully your issue is something simple.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the ohms on the solenoid per some info i was reading from another post by DIESELSHADOW, It seems on the fuel solenoid with 3 wires, between ground and 1 leg I have resistance and the other going to infinite. Per that situation it seems my solenoid is bad as I have voltage with the key on the tractor side of connection. I will try a solenoid tomorrow and let you all know.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
That sounds to me like you have a solenoid with a pull in coil and a hold in coil. If I had to guess I’d say that the pull in coil has failed. If you can get to it’s actuator arm you can move it manually and see if it starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a fuel solenoid and it FIXED my problem. TRACTOR is WORKING AGAIN. Thank you to DIESELSHADOW postings who allowed me to perform a diagnostic with an ohm meter to determine the faulty fuel solenoid...

Some extra details when attempting to change the fuel solenoid on a 4110 there are numerous items that need to be pulled out of the way to get to the mounting bolts including, air filter assembly, fuel filter assembly, throttle control arm and various drain hoses. The outside bolt was easy to remove however the rear bolt was extremely difficult to remove....my 1/4 inch drive ratchet and misc universals and extensions were unable to remove the buried bolt. I ended up having to use a 10mm box end wrench 1/6 of a turn at a time to slowly back out the bolt from below the solenoid. Then I found the bolt to hit against the engine block as it is much longer (3") than the front bolt (1"). I used a flat screwdriver to pry this bolt the rest of the way out. Prior to putting it back in I filed off the flange on one side to allow the bolt 3/32" of closer alignment, then using a longer pry bar, assisted the bolt past the engine block obstruction back into its mounting location.
One item of concern, I had to back out some sort of oil regulation screw that is mounted 1 inch below the fuel solenoid and goes into the engine between the solenoid and the oil filter. This extended stud bolt assembly was in the way of the box end wrench and it's removal was the only way i could turn the buried bolt out and in. I counted the turns out (23.5) revolutions and put it back in the same way. I am concerned that this has a setting from fully closed that i should screw into and then back out accordingly.... DOES ANYONE know what this adjustment might be?
Thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to post this for future reference. I had similar symptoms with my 2004/5 4110 and replaced the bad mechanical fuel pump with a new original equipment unit I ordered that cost $125. It uses a cam to pump the fuel. Well it also stopped working after about 6 months. I replaced it with a cheap $20 12v fuel pump I bought on Amazon and spliced it to a keyed 12 volts wire. It has been working like a champ ever since. Also replaced some of the fuel lines in and out of the fuel filter with clear vinyl tubing which helped a lot during troubleshooting. Hope this helps someone in the future,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.