Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I’ve been reading posts on here for a while and after the day I had today thought I’d join and see if anyone had any insight
So, I ran my 4115 for about an hour and it just shut down. Then just clicked but wouldn’t start. Took the battery and had it tested. Shop said it was in need of charge but okay.
So went back and reinstalled. Cleaned connections etc, then jumped it. It ran fine for the rest of my tasks. Shut it down and it wouldn’t start again. Just clicked. Put it on a charger for a while and still just clicks. Will jump start. Thing that bothers me is why did it die?
Any insight would be welcomed.

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
Do you have a voltmeter? I'm suspecting the battery, but some voltage tests would help prove that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No but I’m gonna get one. I suspect
Battery as well and was a little suspicious when the autozone man told me it was good but needing charged.

The batter reads date 12/15. The guy who owned it before me let it sit outside last couple years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put my money on a bad battery. I do fleet work and with the tester we have when it states "recharge and test" the battery is no good. These modern battery testers to not put enough load on the battery. They rely on a computer and only put about 1/4 if any load on the battery. In my opinion if you put a good load tester on it and hit it with 1/2 of the CCA it will fail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I put in a new battery and the meter reads nothing while engine running. Also, the indicator bulb doesn’t come on when the key is turned on. Tested the bulb. It is good. Any ideas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
...I ran my 4115 for about an hour and it just shut down. Then just clicked but wouldn’t start. Took the battery and had it tested. Shop said it was in need of charge ..... So went back and reinstalled. Cleaned connections etc, then jumped it. It ran fine for the rest of my tasks. Shut it down and it wouldn’t start again. Just clicked. Put it on a charger for a while and still just clicks. Will jump start. Thing that bothers me is why did it die?
"Put it on a charger for a while" - did it show a full charge before you took it off the charger? It's a bit odd that it'll jump start - wondering if your charger is working properly. Does your tractor have an alternator? What recharges the battery?

So I put in a new battery and the meter reads nothing while engine running. Also, the indicator bulb doesn’t come on when the key is turned on. Tested the bulb. It is good. Any ideas.
Not sure I understand. So, it runs with the new battery? Is your meter faulty? Is your tractor still shutting off? Wondering if it could be an air flow, fuel, or spark issue.

Just a last thought after re-reading rddiehl's post: Does the "new" battery have enough cranking amps and cold cranking amps for your tractor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. Battery has enough juice to get it done. The tractor runs fine with the fully charged battery. It’s not showing any charging volts on the meter though and yet the battery charging light is not illuminated and I’ve checked the bulb. I’m afraid the new battery is going to drain as well. The alternator seems have spark coming from it. What could be next. Voltage regulator? I don’t have a shop manual for its location.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes. Battery has enough juice to get it done. The tractor runs fine with the fully charged battery. It’s not showing any charging volts on the meter though and yet the battery charging light is not illuminated and I’ve checked the bulb. I’m afraid the new battery is going to drain as well. The alternator seems have spark coming from it. What could be next. Voltage regulator? I don’t have a shop manual for its location.
What concerns me is the recharging effort. It appears something is either draining your battery or not recharging it - that's why I asked about your alternator. I'm just not sure at this point. Hopefully someone else can figure out what's wrong. I'm sorry I couldn't help you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me too. I’m trying to find a way to test the alternator other than off the battery to see if it’s putting out voltage. If it is it has to be somewhere after that. Does anyone know how to test that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just checked alternator. Got about 14 volts coming off it while running. What’s next? Voltage regulator?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Will someone please help JBone? I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I did find out from the battery that the voltage doesn’t increase when running. Turn on lights it decreases. I may have mentioned before that my battery light never comes on yet the bulb is good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all. I posted this a few weeks back but didn’t hear from many of you so thought id ask again.
Had my 4115 just die on me. Then just clicked.
Bought a new battery and started up fine after determining battery was bad. Now it starts and runs fine but I don’t think it’s charging. Only reads 12.3-12.6 when running. Battery light on dash doesn’t come on at all but the bulb is good. I replaced the voltage regulator. Didn’t change change readings. I know the alternator is producing. Is there some sort of relay between the alternator and the regulator that would keep it from going to the regulator? If anyone has a tip I’d love to hear it. I’m thinking I’ll replace the alternator next unless someone has another thought.

·
Super Moderator
8,206 Posts
It sounds like you may have an open circuit between the alternator output terminal and the battery. It's tough to diagnose it further without a schematic but I'd check the fuses as well as all harness connections. You could run a jumper wire from the alternator output terminal to the battery positive terminal. If the voltage at the battery comes up to 13.5 - 14.5 volts then that confirms the open circuit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay. So which wire coming off the alternator would you connect to since there are two in that connector?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts