Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 420 that I bought last year. I serviced the tractor at that time except the mower gearbox. I noticed the PO had installed a grease fitting in place of the vent. The mower was quiet so I used it as it was planning to change the lubricant next season. It's now next season. The box seems pretty full of grease that will not drain. I am not sure if the po had a seal issue, or why he did this, but I feel like it isn't the best choice. I suppose I could run some kerosene thru it to try to wash the grease out, or should I just add more grease? Looking for members experience with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Koak,

its not unusual to have grease rather than gear oil, usually due to a seal leak. It’s more prevelant in older rotary cutter gearboxes than mmm’s. The original owner probably had the vent fail which blew out the seal, usually on the bottom. I don’t recall that replacing the seal is that big a deal, but it appears that your gearbox has been like this for a while and hasn’t come apart yet.
Dave

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the more I looked into this that is what I suspect. It also looks like it may be that "cornhead grease" as it seems to be clinging to everything inside. Should I just add some more? I like to take care of my equipment and running the box with unknown hrs on the lube bothers me.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just change it! The $5 worth of grease and maybe 2 hours labor with give you $1000 worth of piece of mind and at least 200 hours before getting concerned with replacing it again! Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I plan to do something with it, just not sure what. I talked to the PO who bought the tractor with less than 100 hrs on it. He said it always had a grease fitting and he just added grease every year. He didn't use corn head grease, just whatever he used on the tractor. Although it won't drain out, it is somewhat liquid like. I'm kinda leaning toward just adding more corn head grease as I picked up a tube today. Does that sound like a good plan? The other option would be to drop some gear lube in it, but I suspect it may leak out. I am not leaning toward cleaning the box out right now unless it is really needed.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I can't say that, "it is really needed ," only that if it were mine, I'd change it! And for no other reason than to KNOW what lube is in there and how old/clean the lube is. Your equipment, your decision. Bob

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
I would stick a q-tip in the grease, and if it looks good I’d just run it. If it’s dirty or glittery it needs to go.

Reactions: kylew

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
I would stick a q-tip in the grease, and if it looks good I’d just run it. If it’s dirty or glittery it needs to go.
I would agree. If you have to repack it I would also use corn head or polyurea grease in it. Odds are the seal failed and the shaft has a groove in it so a new seal wont help. It will run forever on grease and it doesn't/shouldn't be full. It will finds it way around in there with the gears slinging it everywhere.

Reactions: kylew and rydplrs
1 - 8 of 8 Posts