Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

the guy before me decided the best way to increase torque from the 420's front pto clutch would be to weld the rotor to the armature. he then rigged a vice-gripped lever to loosen the belts enough to disengage the belts from the constantly moving engine driven pulleys. the first time i hit the switch i thought the whole thing was going to blow up. that method has since been discarded and i'm try to get it back to stock. i put the updated belt tensioning assembly on for starters. the new and even some used units are out of my budget so i figured i'd try to piecemeal it back together. my field winding coil (AM39419) has proved good through testing. i just bought a rotor (M85221) on ebay from a 318 that checked out for fitting the 420 as it's part number is the same. for the life of me i can't find the armature (AM100849) that i need to complete the assembly. any help with some reasonably priced used parts?

i sure do appreciate the help and all the information you guys provide on this site.

thanks, steve :)

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Have you tried a JD dealer. I have ordered several parts from green farm parts. I have had a Hard time getting ONAN parts but the rest of the JD parts seem to be available. mine is a 92 the last year they were made. The 420 is a great L&G tractor. good luck

Reactions: sroysr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried a JD dealer. I have ordered several parts from green farm parts. I have had a Hard time getting ONAN parts but the rest of the JD parts seem to be available. mine is a 92 the last year they were made. The 420 is a great L&G tractor. good luck
sorry, i didn't mean i couldn't find any. i should have been clearer in my post. i'd like to find a used part that is reasonably affordable.my only other recourse would be to take my welded unit to a machine shop to mill them apart. i think that way may bring in issues of "balancing" during rotation.

ps... i apologize for posting this in the wrong segment. i thought i was in the vintage area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts