Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally was able to finish my 1983 JD 420 Hydraulic system over-haul. New pistons, new lines, new filter and new fluid. The old fluid was almost black it was so old. This was my first time messing with hydraulics, but in the end there were no more leaks, so I'm happy.

The Innovative Grapple I got last winter was a bit tricky to install due to receiving no instructions, but I figured it out eventually. The new pistons I got were bare metal so I painted them JD green before installing.

Hydraulics Done.jpg

Then it was time to test it out at our place in the middle of the VT woods. It worked like a charm.

GH End Around.jpg

First Grab Logs.jpg

Wood Pile Moved.jpg

Long Log Grab.jpg

I'm a happy man!

·
Registered
870 Posts
VT, Looks good and it looks like it does EXACTLY what you want it to do!

A suggestion: Mark your hydraulic connections. I wash with parts cleaner and then apply a wrap or two of colored electricians tape...available at box stores for about $3 a roll. I use green for raise/open and yellow (Caution!) for lower/close. Mark both the male & female connectors and you'll NEVER hook them up backwards! Bob

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Another way to color-code the hydraulic hoses is to use colored tie wraps...no worries about any oil causing the tape to loose its adhesive qualities and come off...

And of course the high end solution to this marking of the hoses is to use colored end caps -- but they cost several dollars each.

Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts