Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in my intro thread, I want to find a 420 like grandad's or his if I can. I was wondering if 420s will take a front loader. I've yet to see a pic of one so equipped.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grandad had a wide front 420. Dunno the exact model, but likely a W. He didn't have a bucket, I do recall he had a 3PTH pooper scooper to clean out the barn tho.

I've yet to find even a pic with a 420 sporting one. Oddly enough I found CL ad the other day for a trip bucket to fit a 40, 420 and a couple other similar sized JDs.

So I guess that answers my question. Yes, Virginia, they DO make buckets for 420s.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Grandad had a wide front 420. Dunno the exact model, but likely a W. He didn't have a bucket, I do recall he had a 3PTH pooper scooper to clean out the barn tho.

I've yet to find even a pic with a 420 sporting one. Oddly enough I found CL ad the other day for a trip bucket to fit a 40, 420 and a couple other similar sized JDs.

So I guess that answers my question. Yes, Virginia, they DO make buckets for 420s.

If it was a wide front it was most likely a 420 S (Standard) or W (Wide front row crop) or maybe a U (Utility)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was a wide front it was most likely a 420 S (Standard) or W (Wide front row crop) or maybe a U (Utility)
With my limited knowledge of the various models, that's pretty much what I was thinking too.

I'm in contact with family that might be able to help me track the old gal down. One of my uncles had a fair bit of seat time on it. He would know which dealership it got traded at so maybe there's a paper trail or at least a Ser # to be had.

In the meantime, I'm keeping an eye on local CL and other S & S mags in my area for one, tho I won't be ready to pounce until next summer at the earliest.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1956 jd 420.

I use this 420 each winter to cut 8-10 128 cubic ft. cords of wood and haul it out of the woods. And also haul it to mine and my mother's house in the fall. All original except the Kobota roll bar and a Chev alternator with 6 volt voltage regular in it. Loaded tires and some chains and nothing stops it. Also I have viewed a couple short videos on You Tube of a 420 with a front loader.

Try this: https://youtu.be/ePcGkB8Aa7o
https://youtu.be/mLUBzeJ57pE

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes I agree. Grew up with a 1955 JD 40W with FEL, trip bucket and no power steering. (Pictured) Really hard to steer with a bucket load of cow manure. My cousin is still using it for raking hay and loading round bales.
My 1957 420U does have power steering, what a joy!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts