Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a situation that I would like some advice on.

My yard has a lot of areas that could use some dirt fill and leveling, but my 59 year old back can't do the moving and spreading by shovel any more so I need some mechanical means to do that.

I currently have an '83 JD 420 with a plow and grapple. The plow does on for winter and the grapple goes on for summer. I also tow a DR Power Grader behind it to maintain my gravel driveway.

I also have an '16 JD x394 that has a plow but is really only used for mowing duties and towing around a 10P cart.

I'm thinking about a plow/shovel to move the dirt and using the Power Grader to level things out. But that means putting on and off the grapple that I use regularly for fire wood and other duties, which is a pain.

So, I'm wondering if there is a quick connect system that I could put on the 420 to be able to quickly and easily swap between the plow/shovel and the grapple? Or is there a better option (that is low cost)?

Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you want to replace shoveling, you will need a FEL w/bucket, now these things are like gold so you may need to buy it on a tractor already (dedicated tractor/FEL). That is what I'm looking at too. Otherwise it would be a johnny bucket

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
I’m assuming with the grapple that you have a quick hitch.

That’s as easy on/off as it gets.

I think Deere used to have a tractor shovel that mounts to a 54 blade. You would pin the qh pivot, disconnect the hydraulic angle hoses and connect the dump lines to the shovel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the manual for that 54" shovel attachment.

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quick hitch

I’m assuming with the grapple that you have a quick hitch.

That’s as easy on/off as it gets.

I think Deere used to have a tractor shovel that mounts to a 54 blade. You would pin the qh pivot, disconnect the hydraulic angle hoses and connect the dump lines to the shovel.
Unfortunately, no, nothing has a quick hitch. Figured it was worth the question.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Unfortunately, no, nothing has a quick hitch. Figured it was worth the question.

Thanks.
Do you have a picture of your grapple? The only ones I’ve seen were quick hitch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Grapple picture

grapple_resized.jpg

It attaches the same way as the plow, with a locking bar and spring clip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts