Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not an electrical guy, so I'm afraid to say that I'm still struggling with the starter improvement kit I'm trying to install on my '83 420.

I got all the shields off last night and looked for the connections that the instructions say should be there, but nothing matched. I see no purple wires. I see no connector to plug into the kit. I see no wire harness to tie into. Here's a couple of pictures. Maybe somebody before me altered the stock wiring? Are the kit wires supposed to be extended so that they reach back towards the dash board wiring? I've got to be missing something.

Starter w Shields partially removed.jpg
Starter Wide view.jpg
Starter Closeup.jpg

Oh, and here's a picture of the kit with it's connectors.
Kit.jpg

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
That’s a bendix starter. The solenoid and purple wire are under the battery tray.

·
Registered
117 Posts
not sure if I'm having problems with your last picture, but it looks like that is the "+" starter wire, and it is bare on the end where it passes under the starter, I would want to insulate that terminal so it wont short out if it touches the starter case.

Eric

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headway

Thanks for the info on the Bendix style starter. That is the piece of information that I didn't have. I have now found the solenoid and the purple wires. I just have to identify the proper places to hook up the kit wires to. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I got the gas tank emptied and removed, the hydro drive fins cleaned off, finished the brake job and installed the wheels with the new tires. Making headway now.

Brakes Done.jpg

Cleaned overall.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts