Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. I have a 1956 420U. I purchased the tractor about 8 months ago. It came with 1/2 power steering. It appears that a previous owner fitted the tractor with power steering. I have had nothing but trouble with the steering since purchasing the tractor. I blew out the fluid diverter this evening when I started the tractor.
What is different about the manual steering gear box verses the power steering box? I tried disconnecting the power steering components, but was unable to steer the tractor.

Will a model M steering box work for conversion back to manual steering? If so, what other parts might I need?
Thanks

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Is it aftermarket power steering? Can you post any pics of it? That would help us help you.:good2:

Usually aftermarket power steering is a complete add on to the manual gearbox. If it was converted using parts from a factory power steering tractor, well then probably will have to converted back using a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im no expert on the dubuque tractors, but there were three phases of the 420, all green, two color, and two color slant dash. If yours is a 56, then it should be an all green tractor, with that, I would go to deeres website and download the parts manual so you can see where your serial number falls in at and then see what parts you have, or dont have. Going back to the model year, if it is a 56, I would also think that the 40 would be a better parts match. Good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am new to the forum. I have a 1956 420U. I purchased the tractor about 8 months ago. It came with 1/2 power steering. It appears that a previous owner fitted the tractor with power steering. I have had nothing but trouble with the steering since purchasing the tractor. I blew out the fluid diverter this evening when I started the tractor.
What is different about the manual steering gear box verses the power steering box? I tried disconnecting the power steering components, but was unable to steer the tractor.

Will a model M steering box work for conversion back to manual steering? If so, what other parts might I need?
Thanks
The steering boxes are the same between power and standard steering.

Early 420's used a flow divider to take some flow from the hydraulic pump to operate a cylinder down on the axle and the control valve is inline on the steering shaft.
Later models used a dedicated steering pump with a power gear unit mounted below the steering box in front of the rad, and the inline control valve on the steering shaft.

If a conversion was done by a previous owner, it could be either or maybe even something aftermarket as Diesel said.

Let us know what you have so we can try to help.

Regards,

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts