Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 4200 w/ a 420 loader. The tractor is equipped w/ the factory 3rd SCV plumbed to the rear - it is the kit that utilizes the 3rd spool on the factor SCV and is controlled with a handle on the right fender. I'm considering using this 3rd spool to control the chute on a #59 Snowblower. At this time, this option seems more favorable than a linear actuator and the wiring involved.

I was considering some long hoses from the blower to the rear. Then I noticed JD provides a set of hard lines, couplers, hardware, etc. for using the 3rd spool as a 3rd function on the loader for the 420/430/440/460/300CX loaders. (See image below). I believe this will work on a variety of tractors (4x00/4x10/30xxR and possibly others). I'm thinking of purchasing #13B (or fabricating something similar) in the diagram to make it a little easier and possibly cleaner installation.

I was wondering if anybody has this installed and if so, where does the bracket (PN W53059, #13) bolt to? Could somebody take a picture, please?

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 2.46.32 PM.png

·
Registered
524 Posts
My guess it will bolt to end/top of loader. Later I can get on my computer in JD and see if it shows me. In a tech so I have full access to that stuff if it's out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess it will bolt to end/top of loader. Later I can get on my computer in JD and see if it shows me. In a tech so I have full access to that stuff if it's out there.

Thanks - looking forward to more details.

BTW, I think it has to be mounted on the tractor somewhere - it holds the female couplers.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks - looking forward to more details.

BTW, I think it has to be mounted on the tractor somewhere - it holds the female couplers.

Thanks again.
Ok when I get home I'll get in the computer and see what I can find for you

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
I couldn't find a picture, but it bolts right above the other couplers so all six are in the same place.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Can't find any pictures on it. Guess it doesn't exist. Lol. My guess is it mounts pretty close to others by where loader mounts to tractor

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Can't find any pictures on it. Guess it doesn't exist. Lol. My guess is it mounts pretty close to others by where loader mounts to tractor

Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
7,721 Posts
I would see if your JD dealer has/can print install instructions for the 3rd function oil line kit. They will tell/show where this bracket attaches.

Or just buy the bracket and see where the mount holes match up. I'll bet the frame or loader mount bracket.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would see if your JD dealer has/can print install instructions for the 3rd function oil line kit. They will tell/show where this bracket attaches.

Or just buy the bracket and see where the mount holes match up. I'll bet the frame or loader mount bracket.
At one time there probably was installation instruction but not any more. I work for JD and can't find any. I can see the 3rd function oil line install kit it's a BW15381. But when I go look for instruction can't find it at all

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow on question

I bought the bracket - it fits nicely on the loader mount. I was planning on using it to plumb a chute control cylinder on my 59 SB, but I've not had time to work on that project yet; but will do so likely this fall.

Then, I discovered a "third function kit" on CL. It has the hard lines, hoses, couplers, o-rings and plastic blocks to fit the loader. The seller reports it is for a 430 loader. I have a 420 loader.

I know the 420 loader will fit a 4200, 4300 and 4400 - the geometry of the frame is the same. So, it seems to me, the parts of the loader that mount on the tractor (mast and frame) are the same geometry for both the 420 and the 430. I've check JD parts - the PN for the mast is different between the 420 and 430 loaders. This makes sense since they have different weight capacities. I contend the geometry of the masts are the same regardless of model. Does this make sense so far?

The issue is JD parts only shows a third function kit for the 430 & 460 loaders, not the 420 loader.

I'd like to buy the hardline kit. At some point, I can imagine purchasing a grapple for the machine and having hard lines rather than hoses on the loader boom is an attractive solution. What I don't know is will the kit fit the 420 loader boom? Clearly the 420 and 430 booms are different. The 430 can handle more weight and had a different mechanism where the tilt cylinders connect to the bucket. I did some research on the specs of each and both have the same dimension from the front wheel to the bucket when the bucket is flat on the ground. And, given the length of hoses, fitting and connectors I'd have to purchase, the kit seems reasonably priced.

Question, Would somebody who owns a 430 loader be willing to provide the following measurements:
  1. Distance between the center of the pin that mounts the boom to the mast and the center of the top pin on the bucket cylinder?
  2. Distance between the center of the pin that mounts the boom to the mast and the rubber block that hold the hard lines on the boom?
  3. Distance between the center of the pin at the top of the bucket cylinder and the bucket pivot rod?
  4. Distance between the center of the pin at the top of the bucket cylinder and the rubber block holding the hard lines located near the bucket?
Thanks

J.

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
If for some reason you find the kit won't suit your needs, please let me know as I might be interested in taking it off your hands.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If for some reason you find the kit won't suit your needs, please let me know as I might be interested in taking it off your hands.
Okay - it will likely take a few weeks. The seller is located in western PA and I'm not heading out there until the middle of Aug.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Made it work

This kit has been sitting in my basement for a a year now. When I purchased it, I learned that I probably should trust the parts manual - when it says "fits a 430 or 460 loader", it probably doesn't fit a 420 loader. All the parts fit except the front most hard lines - the first bend is too tight, reflecting changes in geometry from the 420 to the 430/460.

I put it up for sale here: https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sale/179852-430-460-loader-3rd-function-kit-nos.html#post3152788 hoping to recover the cost; no one expressed interest.

Today, I was cleaning out and decided to conduct an experiment. The OD of the hard lines is ⅜". I drilled a ⅜" hole in a block of hard maple. I split the block down the center of the hole with a bandsaw. I clamped the hard line in the block right at the start of the bend with a large vise. I loosened the vice a little, slid a small amount of the bend into the gap and tightened it down. I repeated this, effectively removing a small amount of the bend. I hoped having the block would prevent the line from being crimped. It worked! I only needed to change it a few degrees and it lines up almost perfectly.

Here's the results:

IMG_1764.jpg

All that remains is to attach the hoses. The parts that go on the tractor that connect the rear SCV to the middle of the tractor had been installed previously to power the hydraulic chute on my SB, so I have a few parts left over. Maybe I'll post those to see if somebody wants them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i currently have a 460 loader on one of my machines...with the 3rd fuction to scvs to the back.......does the kit you have T in at the spool area...or do you have to unhook the rear scv...curious how and where it hooks in .......been keeping my eye open for one of these kits but not sure how it would hook in...

thx

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
This kit has been sitting in my basement for a a year now. When I purchased it, I learned that I probably should trust the parts manual - when it says "fits a 430 or 460 loader", it probably doesn't fit a 420 loader. All the parts fit except the front most hard lines - the first bend is too tight, reflecting changes in geometry from the 420 to the 430/460.

I put it up for sale here: https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sale/179852-430-460-loader-3rd-function-kit-nos.html#post3152788 hoping to recover the cost; no one expressed interest.

Today, I was cleaning out and decided to conduct an experiment. The OD of the hard lines is ⅜". I drilled a ⅜" hole in a block of hard maple. I split the block down the center of the hole with a bandsaw. I clamped the hard line in the block right at the start of the bend with a large vise. I loosened the vice a little, slid a small amount of the bend into the gap and tightened it down. I repeated this, effectively removing a small amount of the bend. I hoped having the block would prevent the line from being crimped. It worked! I only needed to change it a few degrees and it lines up almost perfectly.

Here's the results:

All that remains is to attach the hoses. The parts that go on the tractor that connect the rear SCV to the middle of the tractor had been installed previously to power the hydraulic chute on my SB, so I have a few parts left over. Maybe I'll post those to see if somebody wants them.
Good job at making it work! I've thought about fabricobbling a setup for my 420 loader; but have never gotten around to it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i currently have a 460 loader on one of my machines...with the 3rd fuction to scvs to the back.......does the kit you have T in at the spool area...or do you have to unhook the rear scv...curious how and where it hooks in .......been keeping my eye open for one of these kits but not sure how it would hook in...

thx
The kit is the one in this diagram: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/80717/referrer/navigation/pgId/14551842

Like your machine, my 4200 has the 3rd SCV plumbed with hardlines to the rear. This kit came with a bracket that attaches to the loader mounts using two of the bolts that attach the loader mount. This bracket holds two more female SCVs. At this point, one has 6 female SCVs at the middle of the tractor. The kit also included two hoses that are routed from the new SCVs at the loader mount to the rear of the tractor. It also included two male SCVs that are used to connect these hoses to the rear SCV connectors.

When I'm using the MMM, I connect the mower lift to the rear. And leave the other hoses neatly stored under the seat. When using all 6 of the mid-tractor connectors, I disconnect the mower lift and connect the other hoses. As noted earlier, I had previously installed the parts that go on the tractor to run a 3rd cylinder to control the chute deflector on my snowblower. Now I can use it on the loader with a grapple or other loader implement.

Long term, my plan is to add at least one more SCV using the power beyond I have and potentially have the connections more permanent.

·
Registered
243 Posts
for my 420 loader I ended up purchasing an aftermarket diverter kit. Really like the ability of just a pushbutton on top of the handle for the third function. It was a little pricey for the kit but the fit and finish of it was painless and went together real easy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts