Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner mechanic and tractor owner, so feel free to tell me that my question is totally ridiculous, it won't hurt my feelings.. anyway, I've had a hydraulic blowout in the front area of my tractor behind the radiator... I am assuming that is a place to tap into the hydraulics for belly implements or possibly a front end loader type thing... I don't use my tractor for that, I only use rear implements for tilling and scraping, would it be possible to disconnect and cap those tubes running under the dash and to the front that are leaking severely? Eventually I would replace those tubes with new ones, but to keep me working for now would this be a quick fix? Thanks for the help in advance, you guys are always awesome!

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
341 Posts
The hydraulic pump on a 40 W provides hydraulics for the three point rocker arms along with the remotes for a model 85 front end loader. The model 85 loader was a manual trip bucket. I'm pretty sure power steering was not available on the 40 series. On the 420 that pump also provided power steering. You will find two tubes running from front to back. One pressure the other return. The hydraulic reservoir is located under the seat. You need to replace the tubes otherwise you will burn out the hydraulic pump. If you try to cap the pressure side something is going to blow. Fix the tubes, replace the hydraulic fluid that was lost and continue operating for many years to come. You go on line to New Paris tractor parts. They have a large bone yard where you can get good used parts.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Ditto I agree with Trebor that the hyd leak in front of engine needs to be repaired for 3 pt or rear scv's to operate correctly

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hydraulic pump on a 40 W provides hydraulics for the three point rocker arms along with the remotes for a model 85 front end loader. The model 85 loader was a manual trip bucket. I'm pretty sure power steering was not available on the 40 series. On the 420 that pump also provided power steering. You will find two tubes running from front to back. One pressure the other return. The hydraulic reservoir is located under the seat. You need to replace the tubes otherwise you will burn out the hydraulic pump. If you try to cap the pressure side something is going to blow. Fix the tubes, replace the hydraulic fluid that was lost and continue operating for many years to come. You go on line to New Paris tractor parts. They have a large bone yard where you can get good used parts.
Is there a place that sells those tubes new by chance? I’m curious because it’s a lot of work and I’d like to put new ones in there if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Are your tractors present oi lines bent/distorted? Normally just replacing seals on lines will stop the hyd leak. One needs to know serial # before correct part #s for lines can be obtained.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are your tractors present oi lines bent/distorted? Normally just replacing seals on lines will stop the hyd leak. One needs to know serial # before correct part #s for lines can be obtained.
I know the one on the drivers right hand side has multiple cracks in the tube itself that the oil shoots out of. I suspect the other one might be leaking too but haven’t confirmed that.

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
341 Posts
Maybe check Stiener tractor parts in Lennon Michigan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts