Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New to the forum.

My elderly neighbor has a 4210 e hydro with a problem with the pto. The problem is when he pulls the switch on, the pto doesn't work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank's,

Brian

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Does the PTO light come on when you pull the switch?

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
The PTO on these machines is electrically operated via a electro-hydraulic actuator on the tranny case. Start by verifying all wiring is intact/connected on the underside of the machine. Sorry but I cannot post a picture of it right now...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to my neighbor this morning, and the wiring seems to be intact, and the pto light does illuminate when switched on. We are going to try swapping out the front pto switch with the rear for a test to see if maybe that might be the problem. I am kinda leaning towards it maybe being a relay or fuse, but we can't seem to track it down. Thank's for the suggestions. I'll let you know what we find.

Brian

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Can you confirm voltage at your pto solenoid? Could be a weak coil.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
It is these times when the FSM (factory service manual) really seems cheap at about $70 on CD...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I believe the 4210/4310/4410, all use the rear pto to power the mid PTO(may be different than front pto). If what you are talking is about the mid pto, you raise the mid pto button and then the rear pto button. It runs off a gear in the transmission. The rear shaft turns any time the mid pto is running. It sounds wierd but works well. Hope it helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are right about the Mid-Rear. I have the 4410. You must turn the Mid Off by turning off the rear first then the Mid. It can grind gears if you dont do the proper sequence. I have also had to shut down and restart after someone used the MMM with out doing the proper sequence. Not one of JD best designs.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 11 of 11 Posts