Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 John Deere 4210 with hydrostatic transmission and a backhoe attachment. It moves ok in low gear at a slow speed, but the engine bogs down (loses rpm) in a higher gear when trying to go at a speed faster than a walk. Does ok on a downhill slope. The backhoe has plenty of power to dig. If pushing into a tree, all 4 wheels have enough power to spin in the dirt. I replaced the hydraulic fluid and filter. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Brakes releasing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pedals release and when moving slowly I can tell that the brakes engage when I depress the pedals. However, the parking brake light on the dash will not turn off. I have assumed that was a bad switch but have not had time to check it out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sound like park brake is on my 3 series will do the same thing even when barely on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. I think I tried every switch combination possible but I’ll double check to make sure the load match is off. I’ll also do some more investigation on the brakes - need to find out why the parking light is staying on even though the brake pedals appear to have released. But since it does ok going down a slight slope and only struggles going up it doesn’t seem consistent with brakes not releasing.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Tires aired up? Perhaps another case of rim slip?

·
Registered
290 Posts
The pedals release and when moving slowly I can tell that the brakes engage when I depress the pedals. However, the parking brake light on the dash will not turn off. I have assumed that was a bad switch but have not had time to check it out.
I didn't read this before posting. If the light is on the linkage has probably not released completely. My 4310 was like that when I got it. Had to remove the right cowl panel and lube the linkage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts