Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...I'm looking for opinions on a 4230. I've got a chance to pick one up, quad range, that needs a clutch. I've got a 4430 and we're happy with it, but wasn't sure about the 4230. Just looking for opinions from ones that know it. From what I gather from research, I could possibly do the clutch if I take the assembly to the dealer and have them set it with the tool?
Thanks in advance.
John

·
Registered
993 Posts
The 4230 is a great tractor. If splitting for the clutch, you might want to pull the hi-lo at the same time to reseal and check clutch disks in it at the same time, as well as resealing pistons in operating housing as TxJim suggested. Of course the rear crankshaft seal wouldn't be a bad idea either. And, yes your dealer can set up the clutch if you take the clutch pack and flywheel to him. Don't try to adjust clutch yourself without special tools. Will not work well. The only shortcoming of the 4230 i can think of is most didn't start well in cold weather. A block heater is a must below around 20 degrees to avoid using starting fluid.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,271 Posts
I'd add to the above advise and have the Engine Clutch and PTO operating pistons re-sealed and operating bearings replaced, while it's split.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts