Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.haytalk.com/forums/forum/73-machinery/
Tractor will not go into any gear(1-4) but will go into all ranges(a-d). It makes a grinding noise went you attempt to go from neutral into any gear. I am brand new to this tractor and I have never ran a quad range so I am uncertain of what normal is. It will not roll when in gear(engine off) clutch pushed in. It seems to go through the gears fine when not running. All hydraulics work as they should. It was operating and going through the gears until I had the hydraulics stop working due to a plugged filter. I changed the trans filter and changed all fluid now it isn’t going into gear. The tractor sat for several years it has 4436 hrs. If anyone has any idea what to check let me know.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Tractor should roll freely with engine not running in any gear except PARK. Sounds as if brakes are dragging. Try rolling with brake bleed screws on top of each final drive housing opened a little.

Grinding when attempting to put in gear sounds as if the hyd clutch controlled by foot pedal isn't disengaging. IIRC there is a port to check clutch pressure behind LH battery& pressure should be 155-165 psi. It's possible clutch control valve is at fault

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tractor should roll freely with engine not running in any gear except PARK. Sounds as if brakes are dragging. Try rolling with brake bleed screws on top of each final drive housing opened a little.

Grinding when attempting to put in gear sounds as if the hyd clutch controlled by foot pedal isn't disengaging. IIRC there is a port to check clutch pressure behind LH battery& pressure should be 155-165 psi. It's possible clutch control valve is at fault
I’ve read where the valve body under the driver side battery box could break the arm on the pto actuator what type of damage will I be looking for in that valve body with clutch issues?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Actually the pto piston arm I've seen ""bend not break"" which wouldn't allow pto mechanism to hydraulically lock into engaged position. Replacing bent arm simply required removing control valve from clutch housing then R&R faulty arm then replace housing. Worn SGB(cab) mounting doughnuts can cause similar pto non remaining engaged symptoms

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would first check some clutch and pto pressures. I am also wondering about possibility of some possible damage from running with plugged filter. Lack of lubrication could have seized gears on top shaft of transmission that could cause inability to get in 1-2 or 3-4 gears

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would first check some clutch and pto pressures. I am also wondering about possibility of some possible damage from running with plugged filter. Lack of lubrication could have seized gears on top shaft of transmission that could cause inability to get in 1-2 or 3-4 gears
I’ll test the pressures if I can round up a gauge that will fit that port. If the pressure is in spec what does that indicate. If it doesn’t fall off when clutch is pushed what does that mean. I’d like to attempt to prepare for each test result and what that would indicate.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Very good possibility of galled gears to shaft from lack of lubrication

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Clutch pressure should be around 140 psi with clutch out and 0 when clutch is pushed in. If pressure goes to 0 when clutch is pushed in and still can't shift, I would suspect seized gears to shaft and tractor will need to be split to fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts