Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have needed a new instrument cluster for my 445 for a few years, due to faulty temperature gauge. I hadn't been able to find a working used one and as I recall a new one was nearly $1000. Maybe I am not remembering the price correctly, but I think I'm pretty close. I was ordering a bunch of parts for my 2000 plus hour tractor and also checked the price on a new instrument cluster. Now, it is $343.72 for part number AM115468. I ordered one and picked it up today. The price seemed reasonable to me.

Registered
I think the X495 x585 x595 and similar were close to $1,000
Glad you got it much cheaper.

Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
I have needed a new instrument cluster for my 445 for a few years, due to faulty temperature gauge. I hadn't been able to find a working used one and as I recall a new one was nearly $1000. Maybe I am not remembering the price correctly, but I think I'm pretty close. I was ordering a bunch of parts for my 2000 plus hour tractor and also checked the price on a new instrument cluster. Now, it is $343.72 for part number AM115468. I ordered one and picked it up today. The price seemed reasonable to me.
So what else do you have planned for your tractor, Don, with the other parts you were ordering? Repairs or a facelift?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what else do you have planned for your tractor, Don, with the other parts you were ordering? Repairs or a facelift?
Repairs, Sulley. I am replacing all of the fuel lines, rocker cover gaskets (which will leak, just like all of the others), adjust the valves. change engine oil and filter, hydrostatic oil and filter, fuel filer, spark plugs, air filter, left front reflector, left tail light lens, under hood insulation, spring loaded retainers for grille, and instrument cluster. The cosmetics are pretty good except for a few spruce tree scratches. Next year or this fall will be the PTO clutch, new grille and fuel tank gauge unit. Hopefully, it will be good for another 2000 hours.

Administrator
Repairs, Sulley. I am replacing all of the fuel lines, rocker cover gaskets (which will leak, just like all of the others), adjust the valves. change engine oil and filter, hydrostatic oil and filter, fuel filer, spark plugs, air filter, left front reflector, left tail light lens, under hood insulation, spring loaded retainers for grille, and instrument cluster. The cosmetics are pretty good except for a few spruce tree scratches. Next year or this fall will be the PTO clutch, new grille and fuel tank gauge unit. Hopefully, it will be good for another 2000 hours.
Retirement is expensive eh?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you also add the aluminum valve covers? They don鈥檛 leak eventually like the plastic ones.
No, I didn't. I may make that jump yet. I know these are going to leak. I have also thought about using RTV instead of the gaskets. It can't be any worse. Have you ever tried RTV?

Registered
I have not tried rtv.

I believe the leak issue is the plastic ones warp, so just replacing gaskets seldom stops a leak for long. I replace plastic covers anytime I have to remove them.

Registered
2021 X738
I used RTV on a similar motor setup and it worked like a charm. it stays supple enough to move with the cover and not leak.

Just make sure you buy RTV that is made for the higher temps as well as resistant to oil exposure. I've been running the motor for a couple years since the repair and still nice and dry, no leaks at all.

Reactions: DRobinson

Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
Replacing the plastic valve covers with the aluminum covers is a very good idea. Whether you use the gasket or the RTV, if the cover is unstable, which eventually all plastic valve covers are, its going to be an issue. I would just head it off now and be done with it.

Wow, I just looked up the fuel tank components on your 445 to see what the fuel pump pick up looks like and how much, as you definitely want to change the fuel screen in the tank if you haven't already. They start to crumble with age and you don't need the pieces plugging anything, etc. Check out the price for that fuel pump and even for that end of pump filter....I have replaced the fuel pump in mine and others and I don't recall it being anywhere close to that cost of $450......

Organism Font Line Urban design Art

Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
My memory isn't failing me, the fuel pump and the pick up screen for the 455 is about 1/2 the cost of the one for your 445..........

Plumbing fixture Rectangle Organism Font Screenshot

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My memory isn't failing me, the fuel pump and the pick up screen for the 455 is about 1/2 the cost of the one for your 445..........

View attachment 780272
I don't plan to replace the fuel pump unless it dies. I need the sending unit for the fuel gauge which is about $208.00.

Premium Member
EBay has aftermarket fuel pump for $70. I would try one before spending almost $500

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Registered
I don't plan to replace the fuel pump unless it dies. I need the sending unit for the fuel gauge which is about $208.00.
Is the tractor still functional without the fuel gauge?
I'm blanking on how all those doodads work together....pump, sending unit, gauge, etc.
Thinking pump is the only ~critical~ component.
Maybe it's different on the 445 since its injected instead of carbureted?

"Asking for a friend" who would probably just guesstimate the fuel and then walk the 150 yards back to the shed if he guessed wrong and it died on the far corner of the property, rather than spend the $208 plus installation time. Not a problem yet for my ...er... "my friend's" 425, but now that I've read this thread it will be soon enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the tractor still functional without the fuel gauge?
I'm blanking on how all those doodads work together....pump, sending unit, gauge, etc.
Thinking pump is the only ~critical~ component.
Maybe it's different on the 445 since its injected instead of carbureted?

"Asking for a friend" who would probably just guesstimate the fuel and then walk the 150 yards back to the shed if he guessed wrong and it died on the far corner of the property, rather than spend the $208 plus installation time. Not a problem yet for my ...er... "my friend's" 425, but now that I've read this thread it will be soon enough.
Yes, the tractor is functional without the fuel gauge and has been for several years. The fuel pump mounts on the bottom of the fuel gauge unit. I can get by without the gauge, but I want everything to work again.

Reactions: dgeorgel

Registered
Yes, the tractor is functional without the fuel gauge and has been for several years. The fuel pump mounts on the bottom of the fuel gauge unit. I can get by without the gauge, but I want everything to work again.
Ok cool, that's what I was thinking, thanks!

I know what you mean about wanting everything to work again. I occasionally "treat" myself to a tool or car part or tractor part or whatever just to have SOMEthing that JUST WORKS. :LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.