Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Again,

I just finished adding quick couplers and a rear cut off valve to my 425. Six separate connections and no leaks...better than average for me! I also removed the deck to clean it and sharpen the blades. I was a little bit concerned about this process but it proved to go fairly well. My old 48C deck was belt driven and I have never had shaft drive implements before. It was obvious that the previous owner didn't have it off too often as there was a lot of hardened build up on the underside of the deck and the blades really needed a tune up.

This is all new to me as I just bought this tractor a month ago. My old tractor was a 325 and quite a bit lighter duty than the 425. See my "for sale" thread in the "swap shop" forum. 325 Serial Number "1" with a Tiller, Blade & Snowblower.

I still need a set of wheel spacers before next winter. If anyone knows where I can locate a used set I would be grateful for the information.

Curt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Wheel Spacers & Reverse Pedal Mod

WeeeHaa! I found a set of original JD wheel spacers on Craig's List yesterday and made a deal with a fellow in Minnesota. This afternoon I fabricated a "home brew" reverse pedal modification and it works great. I had some old rubber motor mounts and I bolted one to the original pedal with a 1/4 x 20 bolt. It adds about an inch more pedal travel and now it works like it is supposed to...increased reverse speed. Too bad people want to sue a manufacturer when they do something stupid. Then JD could make a 425 with a decent reverse pedal (speed).

After I fabricated the pedal mod and reattached it, I tried to start my tractor and it was "deader than a hammer." I had just mowed this morning and cleaned out the engine compartment with high pressure air and I thought maybe I had caused a connector or something to come loose. Turned out my positive battery connector was so corroded that I had no "juice". Not being much of a mechanic I was just lucky to stumble onto the problem. Sweet!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts