Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I recently found this forum and have a question concerning the cam gear on a 425.

I replaced the plastic gear on my 1994 425 with 1077hrs as it needed the cover gasket replaced. I replaced the cam shaft , water pump , tappets. Adjusted valve clearance to .010.

I didn't change out the valve springs as I didn't think it would be a problem using original springs.

It now runs with a slight hiccup at any engine speed. Should I have replaced the springs with new ones designed for the steel gear as I believe it is a valve train issue?

Also, it ran very quiet with the plastic cam gear and now it has a tinging metallic sound coming from the cam area. I'm hoping this is normal with the metal gear.

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I aligned the dot on the crank with the mark on the cam gear. I'm sure it's timed correctly as I was able to set valve lash with the procedure from the JD service manual and I followed it correctly making sure flywheel marks lined up correctly with TDC of each piston while valves were closed.

Thanks for the help as this is really turning into a head scratcher.

Next step will be to perform a cylinder leak test, hopefully it isn't a burnt valve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dieselshadow.

I will confirm lash setting and perform a leak down test also.

I will return with my findings as soon as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.