Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble with carb flooding on a 425. If you turn the key on to just activate the fuel pump but not enough to crank the starter you can literally see gas streaming down into the intake. The carb is the later style that has a Fuel shutoff solenoid. I checked the float position to assure the lower section was parallel with the body mating surface and everything is good there. When I pulled the top off of the carb I took the float assembly off and checked for any sloshing of gas inside and then put it on some paper to check for any seepage but nothing, so I think the float is fine. I also filled the carb body with gas to see if there were any casting leaks but luckily everything looked good. The needle valve shows a slight indent where it normally fits into the brass seat. I plan to replace the needle valve and upper carb gasket and was wondering if the brass seat is replaceable and if so where since Deere does not show as a serviceable item.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
It doesn’t look replaceable.

I would use a drill bit and spin it by hand to resurface it just a bit.

It’s to bad the needle didn’t have a viton tip.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I would not use a drill bit, if you think it needs to be fixed, I would use the old needle and some fine valve grinding compound to lap the seat. maybe a lite tap with a small hammer is all it will require to reset the seat. Gentile is the watch word when dealing with this problem.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I would not use a drill bit, if you think it needs to be fixed, I would use the old needle and some fine valve grinding compound to lap the seat. maybe a lite tap with a small hammer is all it will require to reset the seat. Gentile is the watch word when dealing with this problem.
I originally thought that way too, but I think there’s to much slop and not enough height to hold the old needle vertically, they usually have lots of wobble that’s corrected by the point going in the hole, and the base being held in the proper position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sundancer and Rydpirs! Upon close inspection of the brass seat I could see the opening had a very slight distortion. I used a drill bit that was slightly smaller than the hole in the brass seat and gently gave it a couple turns. Next gave a gently tap on the old needle valve. Everything looked good so cleaned everything up with some semi-chrome polish and then flushed everything down with carb cleaner. Run like a champ again. Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.