Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 425 I rehabbed since it was quite a rusty thing when I brought it home. It seems to run well and buzz right along. I changed all the fluids, plugs, new fuel lines, cleaned it up really well with replacement body panels and the like. Then I picked up a 54" mower for it, its in great shape, changed the fluid in the gearbox, new blades did some other nit-pick things to it. Installed it on my tractor and went to fire it up. Tractor stalls, figure I need more throttle, tractor stalls, hmm....one more time, it kicks the belt off the mower. Now I am frustrated. Put it back together, go to start the pto again and give the tractor some choke and it coughs spits and finally takes off. I have run seafoam through the fuel, fresh fuel, different octane, and it still will kill the tractor if I don't choke it. Is this a common issue or do I need to have the carb cleaned by someone with a ultrasonic cleaner? I would hate to have to replace it since it is probably very expensive. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
27 Posts
Electric PTO or shaft driven to the deck?

Sure, it first sounds like it is a bit lean, when the load is applied. Hence, you easily look toward the fuel system.

However, is your battery and charge rate also OK? The PTO clutch is usually a high current device and may cause a temporary ignition reduction when applied. A weak battery or low charge rate may also cause this symptom.

I'm just not sure on your nice 425.

·
Premium Member
14,138 Posts
Can't remember correct name or part because it was 14-15 yrs ago , but seems the pto solenoid was bad ??? When first starting engine and after a min or two of idling , would try pto switch and engine would stall. Even running engine at full throttle engine would would stall at least 2 maybe 3 times then pto would run and was OK the rest of the day. Just a thought.

·
Registered
342 Posts
take the deck off and try the pto with no load. If it malfunctions under no load: probably the solenoid. FYI, I always engaged mine at full throttle. I doubt it's carburetor. Might be governor too. Has the governor gear every been changed?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have engaged it at full throttle and it will still stall the motor. Thats why I was thinking it is lean. When I engage the pto when there is nothing attached it doesn't bog the motor or even know it is spinning. That is why I was leaning towards lean. Maybe I should just pull it off and go through it.

Thanks so far.

Adam

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tensioner arm has a little up and down movement, not really much, I can put new bushings in it and see if it makes a difference. Should I replace the spring too?

·
Registered
342 Posts
how's the gear box on the deck? Can you turn the drive shaft by hand fairly easily (when not attached to PTO)? If it's pulling the belt off something must be binding up. Maybe a spindle bearing? Do they are turn freely without the belt? Idler operate freely? How about the U-joints on both ends of the shaft?

Could still be the solenoid, under load conditions, or even fuel. A guy over on TBN had similar symptoms (not exact) and it turned out to be fuel line to fuel pump. How does the tractor operate without the mower at different speeds, at fast/slow pedal pressure, on steep hills, with/without the PTO engaged (no load)? If it responds well to these, it's probably not fuel system. Have you replaced the hydraulic fluid/filter recently? PTO relies on hydro pressure.

I wouldn't touch the carb until last resort. I never touched my carb in 19+ years of use other than a little cleaner as routine maintenance. I don't think it's that if it's running right otherwise.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would try loosening the governor and resetting it. I just got a great deal on a 425 and it was running horrible. I reset the governor and adjusted the carb and it runs like a champ!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tractor started acting up the other day, like it is getting too much fuel. I pulled the air cleaner off and when I first started it, it ran fine, then after a minute or two I could see fuel coming up the carb, so I am going to pull it apart and clean the carb, maybe get a new needle to see if that cures the running issue.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is, I checked that first thing. I can look down the throat of the carb and see fuel start coming up as it sputter and blows black gas smoke. I am going to pull it apart tomorrow and see what I need.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
48 Posts
engaging ANY pto on ANY tractor at full throttle is not recomended, not needed, and lastly, not a very intellegent thing to do. the deck on any mower should engage at a fast idle. all you are doing at full throttle is shortening the life of all the driveline components, A BUNCH! everything should spin freely, and you need to make sure the carb is fueling properly on the low side. full throttle engagement will destroy pto cluches, gearboxes, and belts, we see it every week in the shop.

·
Registered
148 Posts
engaging ANY pto on ANY tractor at full throttle is not recomended, not needed, and lastly, not a very intellegent thing to do. the deck on any mower should engage at a fast idle. all you are doing at full throttle is shortening the life of all the driveline components, A BUNCH! everything should spin freely, and you need to make sure the carb is fueling properly on the low side. full throttle engagement will destroy pto cluches, gearboxes, and belts, we see it every week in the shop.
And let me begin by saying I'm not trying to argue with you 485DEERE I've always told people the same thing and heard the same thing but see the PTO part of the 455 owners manual on JD's website here Operating :dunno:

Perhaps what you are saying is more appropriate for belt driven PTOs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
And let me begin by saying I'm not trying to argue with you 485DEERE I've always told people the same thing and heard the same thing but see the PTO part of the 455 owners manual on JD's website here Operating :dunno:

Perhaps what you are saying is more appropriate for belt driven PTOs?
any pto, sorry i am the general service manager for 17 stores now. i strongly disagree with any manual that instructs WOT @ engagement, belt or otherwise. and one thing you all need to remember, Deere makes most of its money from parts and swag. it is very hard on clutches,belts and gearboxes to engage at WOT.

·
Registered
342 Posts
any pto, sorry i am the general service manager for 17 stores now. i strongly disagree with any manual that instructs WOT @ engagement, belt or otherwise. and one thing you all need to remember, Deere makes most of its money from parts and swag. it is very hard on clutches,belts and gearboxes to engage at WOT.

I followed the owners manual on my 425 for 19+ years: full throttle to engage PTO. Never an issue. New owner still using with no problem. All parts in the drive train/pto are original. In fact, it is likely to stall at much less than full throttle. I think it is more likely JD made them to operate this way, than it is that they want to sell you parts. They made their reputation on reliability. I doubt they'd jeopardize that to sell a few parts.

On most machines, I would agree to not do this. On this class of machine there seems to be dampening going on in the tranny before full torque reaches the implement. Same is the case with my new X739. It seems to have even more dampening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I have to disagree with you. If the OEM manual states for a fact to do something I would think that the data is strong.. so strong to hold up in a court of law. To have a John Deere engineer on the stand with a clever lawyer saying that WOT to engage PTO is the way must be so...

With my engineering background I would have to agree off the cuff with you that WOT /PTO engagement should be harmful but I'm sure John Deere engineering gave their stamp of approval on that statement in the manual and has to stand by that.

So unless the manufacturer says otherwise .. Who am I to argue? I didn't design/engineer/ or build the tractor.

I just use it.. and it hasn't failed me yet.

Who are you a service manger for?? BTW??

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have over 1,000 hours between my 445 and my 1023, and always engage the PTO at WOT. All original parts, except I replaced the belt on the 445 mower deck as it was checked.
One may argue, that to put the engine under load by engaging the PTO at low RPM could strain the engine and be harmful?
IMO either practice will have the same effect......no harm.

Whatever works.:good2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
common sense would tell anyone that a clutch, any clutch, will wear more when engaged at high speed.................i do not "work" for anyone, my family owns the only dealership left in northern indiana/southwest-central michigan. 17 stores now

1 - 20 of 30 Posts