Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a 425 that doesn't have the hydraulic hook up on the front. Looks like BM20761 Is the kit to use to have that. Does anyone know if that's all I need or if I will need anything else?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
The hookup point for front attachments is under your left foot.

I’m not sure if a second control was optional on the 425’s. Everyone I’ve seen had dual.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
The kit appears to be just the couplers. What about the hydraulic lines, etc.? I doubt they are under the tractor if just the quick connects are missing. I have a feeling you need much more, including the 4 couplers, the lines, mounting plate, etc. I didn't realize they were optional. Your tractor is the first I have seen without them on the machine and I have looked at a LOT of the 425, 445 and 455 over the years. In fact, I still own a 455 I bought new.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
How much of the lines shown in this illustration are on your machine?

I think you are going to need the "line kits" like 15a, 15b. etc.

I doubt these are already on the machine if the quick connects are not there.....

Please note the parts are serial number sensitive......so make sure you take a picture of your VIN tag to get the right parts.

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So hydraulic likes do run to this block that has no quick connects. It appears to just be a place holder if you will for the kit.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
So hydraulic likes do run to this block that has no quick connects. It appears to just be a place holder if you will for the kit.
If you can take come photos underneath your tractor to show us what you have under the tractor near this block.

It might be easier and less expensive to purchase the entire assembly with the lines, fittings, etc. from a person or company that parts out these machines. Otherwise, the cost of everything new is likely to be quite high and there are various fittings, lines, etc. according to the parts illustration. I think i just saw the entire assembly on Ebay used.............

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
That's interesting you've never seen. This is my second 425 without the connectors.
I have paid more attention to the 445 and 455 models as there are more of those around my area. Perhaps the fittings are standard on those models as I haven't seen one without the fittings.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
A better picture.
There is a supply line going to the block in the photo. Seems odd they would put the block there and all that would be missing is the quick connect fittings. The fittings are the easiest part to install and the least expensive. It's not clear why just the fittings would be the "option" and what would be the point of the control block without the quick connects?

All you need are 4 of the female 1/4" hydraulic quick connect fittings which you can get at any farm store like Tractor Supply, Family Farm and Home, etc. I can't tell from the picture if there are any other lines on the back of the block and also, is there a valve on the outside of the block which you can thread in or out of the block to shut off the fluid flow? Normally, its on the right side of the picture you posted, on the outside of the block.

What appears in the photo is that you would just remove the 4 threaded plugs on the housing and thread in the 4 female 1/4" quick connect hydraulic fittings. Also, there is a label / decal which you can get from Deere which tells you the color coding of the 4 ports to match the attachments. I don't recall off hand what the colors are, but they correspond to the front implement hydraulic lines like for the front quick hitch for the plow, snow blower, broom, etc.

Seems like the colors are red, yellow, black and perhaps green......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's interesting you've never seen. This is my second 425 without the connectors.
I have paid more attention to the 445 and 455 models as there are more of those around my area. Perhaps the fittings are standard on those models as I haven't seen one without the fittings.
Possibly. I've only had three and two of them without. I assumed it was pretty common. Clearly I've been blessed with the weird ones.

More photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Decal number 3 in this illustration is the one which color coordinates the hydraulic lines connection points. This decal is usually mounted on the top edge of the foot well platform, right above the quick connectors.............

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Possibly. I've only had three and two of them without. I assumed it was pretty common. Clearly I've been blessed with the weird ones.

More photos.
Looks like all the lines are there, you should be able to remove the plugs on the front side and install the female quick connects and you should be good to go. The decal I linked in the last post will color code them for you and its the same on all machines.

Odd they would sell the machine without just the quick connects, but this is part of the entire hydraulic system and is fed by the steering cylinder at the other end of the lines. I learned something about these machines tonight....:laugh:

You are going to need to make sure the female fittings have the thread on them to thread into the block on your tractor.......

Good news is it looks like the kit you listed is what you need. Just make sure you end up with (4) 1/4" female quick connectors and make sure to put the sealant on the threads when you install the fittings. These are under a lot of pressure when the tractor is running and the levers next to the steering wheel operated, so be careful when installing, etc. Also, when these fittings are not in use, make sure to keep them properly covered as you don't want dirt to get in them, it can make connecting lines harder and it also can make the center valves of the fittings hang open with the fluid shooting out of a fitting under great pressure.

I use these plugs from Ken's Bolt on Hooks to keep the ports sealed. Heavy duty and they stay in place. I remove the chains from my plugs and keep them in the tool box on the tractor when the fittings are in use.

By the way, you can get the fittings from Kenny also as well as the dust caps, at the link below.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts