Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the story goes like this. I am the new guy. I have been coming here to read for years and this is my first post. I was able to find, and buy an early model 425 with 556 hrs. It has a 54" tricycler deck and a 54" blade on a 4way front hitch. When we (dad) and I went to look at it. The guy said I hadn't run sense last year. So I pulled the trigger. After kicking the tires and I don't knowing for 20 minutes or so. The guy loaded it on the trailer with his 1025r with FLE, and off we went. So we get to the house and 3 neighbors come wondering over to see how much this set me back. So long story longer. New battery, batt cable, oil+filter, hydrolic and filter, and NKG plugs,set of blades. Then the big moment. Turn the key and not even a click. It was kind of like the Christmas lights seen in Christmas vacation. Drumroll please!!! So off to the book I go. After looking at the seat, break, pto switches nothing. Looked at the ignition board and soul to Burnt diodes. Took the key and board off, and replaced the 2 burnt diodes. Now I get a click but nothing else. Do I just need to replace the ignition module or keep digging? I have heard guys talk about the TDM. Should I look into that? I can jumpstart the mower with a screwdriver. She runs good but does burn oil. Kind of a puff at first let her idle and warm up for a bit. Then idle up hit the PTO and here comes the white smoke. It does this for 10-20 min then quits. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for all of it. Between everybody here on this group I think you have fixed everyone's tractor
MattinKC::greentractorride::usa

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Sounds like it needs engine work along with electrical.White smoke is water and that could be the head gasket.The engine may also have the plastic cam gear if the PO hasn't changed it you might look into a rebuild.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The man I bought the mower from the "late" previous owners brother. Said that his brother was meticulous on maintance. He also did not know of any other issues he had with it. He also did not think he had ever had the cam gear replaced. I did check the coolant in the radiator, and it was green and full to the top. I was surprised at the local JD dealer. I gave them the serial number and they couldn't tell me anything about the tractor. Am I wrong in thinking that they could see anything done by any JD dealer? Any warranty work or servicing done like chevy or ford could? I figured as much on doing the motor work. I started looking at rebuild kits. That was going to be the next questions!! Do I go to JD, Kawasaki, or eBay?? What is the best kit to buy? Is there a generic parts list + extras I will need? All the help is greatly appreciated.
Matt:greentractorride::usa

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I would get stuff right from JD. I looked around and found that kawasaki had a certain serial number for the JD engines and their wasn't going to be that much savings in the end.Besides if you get something from ebay and it's wrong there's no returning or if so you're paying the shipping to send it back. I went through JDparts looking at the engine brake down getting part numbers and then went to green farm parts entered the numbers to get an idea on price and what it's going to cost me for the repair.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
The man I bought the mower from the "late" previous owners brother. Said that his brother was meticulous on maintance. He also did not know of any other issues he had with it. He also did not think he had ever had the cam gear replaced. I did check the coolant in the radiator, and it was green and full to the top. I was surprised at the local JD dealer. I gave them the serial number and they couldn't tell me anything about the tractor. Am I wrong in thinking that they could see anything done by any JD dealer? Any warranty work or servicing done like chevy or ford could? I figured as much on doing the motor work. I started looking at rebuild kits. That was going to be the next questions!! Do I go to JD, Kawasaki, or eBay?? What is the best kit to buy? Is there a generic parts list + extras I will need? All the help is greatly appreciated.
Matt:greentractorride::usa
Welcome to GTT,, by the way. In the era that this tractor was sold, there were many very small dealers who sold the lawn and garden lines for Deere. Many of these dealers didn't follow through with filing the sales paperwork with Deere. Remember, much of this was "Pre-Personal Computer" for many of these small dealers and everything was done by handwritten correspondence and invoicing, etc.

Such is the case with my 455 and I am the original owner. When my Deere dealer recently pulled my tractor up in the computer, it showed absolutely NOTHING other than the name of the dealer which sold it and the date it was "put into service". It doesn't even show me or anyone for that matter as the "registered owner". I have found that is not unusual for the way many of these smaller dealers operated.

There is a good chance that your tractor never had any warranty work, mine never has. Therefore no records to find. These tractor were very well built and in my opinion, one of Deere's better products. There are a lot of these 425, 445, around and fewer 455, but they are out there for sure.

I would ONLY buy any parts for your engine repairs, etc directly from a Deere dealer, whether it is your local one or Green Parts which is a sponsor of this site. Then you know exactly what you are getting. Beofre you tear into the engine and begin a big overhaul project, I would flush the fuel tank, avoid using any Ethanol based fuels and I would also replace the fuel filter. It may surprise you and not burn oil. Sometimes, guys who would park something for an extended time would "fog" the cylinders with oil through the spark plus hole, which would cause it to appear to "burn oil" when you get it running. Once it has had a chance to burn off any oil which may have been intentionally put in to the cylinders. How did the spark plugs look when you pulled them, like a machine which has burnt oil for some time or not?

Then once you get it running, I would run it for several hours, keeping a close eye on the operating temps, oil levels, coolant, etc and I would also run some top quality fuel system cleaner in the new fuel. It is possible, if it has been sitting for quite some time, it may need to be run to really determine what's going on with it. The hours shown are low and it's possible it sat for much of it's life. I would be very surprised if it had bad rings or a head gasket problem unless the prior owner severely overheated it or ran it out of fluid, etc., which isn't likely, but it happens.

Does the tractor appear well taken care of? Is it clean in the "not obvious places" like on the cowl where the ignition board is located and the motor mounts, etc? Is it greased as it should be, showing grease on the front axle spindle housings, etc.? I have found that one guys opinion of "Well Maintained" is often considerably different than mine. I have a neighbor who talks about how well he maintains his zero turn mower yet I was at the dealer when it was in with the original oil filter on it at 400 plus hours and the deck blades looked like old butter knives. So "Well Maintained" is a very subjective turn. I will say that older guys are likely to be more aware of proper maintenance than some who are younger simply because we grew up in an era when you had to do much more maintenance and repair issues than on the equipment sold today, especially if you grew up on or around a farm.

If you can jump start your tractor, I am assuming you mean with a screwdriver on the starter? Check the solenoid and also check the battery cables very closely, BOTH CABLES, BOTH ENDS, and make sure you are getting a good ground on the whole system. Also, check the fuses on the cowl near the ignition board. Pull each fuse, clean it, clean the contact area and if it were mine, I would replace each fuse with a new one. I have had more than one occasion where the fuses were blown and very hard to see, of course test the fuse if you have a circuit tester and fuse tester puller. If you don't have a circuit tester, buy one.

Also, the Service and Technical manual for this tractor is EXCELLENT and I strongly suggest you spend the $50 or $75 and order one from Deere. They have excellent schematics and a great troubleshooting guide as well as step by step repairs for virtually every system on the machine. I personally like the "BOOK" version and I make photocopies of the pages I need so I don't get my book filthy when working on the tractor.

Be careful about ordering a "Service manual" for this tractor on line as some that I have seen from the "Non Deere" sources were horrible translations by someone for whom English isn''t their primary or likely even secondary language. Recently, I posted some material from one of the "Online deals" and it read like a bad Chinese comic book and had terrible quality copies of pictures. Of course, it was half the price of the real manual so be careful and get the REAL DEAL from Deere. They have CD Rom version as well as bound books for sale on line.

Make sure you let us know what you find when proceeding with your project. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for all of it. Between everybody here on this group I think you have fixed everyone's tractor
MattinKC::greentractorride::usa
Matt,

Buttering us up with compliments is always a good idea
:thumbup1gif:..........A few of us live vicariously through the GTT , attempting to help others. See, our days as a "Caped Crusader" are now limited so we have to find a way to assist others and this is a one which many of us enjoy.......:good2::yahoo:

Matt, chances are you have yourself a very good tractor and a very capable machine. We will do whatever we can to share our personal experience and accumulated wisdom. Please make sure to let us know what you find and how things turn out so our posts can hopefully help another one day. Plus, we look forward to you sharing your experience and results with us and others here on GTT in the future......

Now officially,
:wgtt:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I bought my old L108 from a small John Deere dealer. Garden tractors were the largest machine he sold. Yes everything was done by hand but they handled all the paperwork no problem. Unfortunately he was forced out & closed the Deere franchise.
The place installed my new 46" snow plow, chains & weight bracket/weights for free. All I paid for was parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts