Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I may have a chance to buy a decent 425. It’s a 1993 so the first year. Deck on it is like brand new. Hasn’t been used much. It has just shy of 1200 hours on it.

What would you guys think is a fair price. Is this the model that has he plastic camshaft gear issues?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Yes it has the plastic cam gear unless it was changed. My 345 let go at 1359 hours so just beware of that.

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
The first 2 years also have a different steering cylinder setup then later years. It’s prone to some kind of problem, and I think there either availability or price issues on replacement also.

I sold an 800 hr 425 with 54 deck and single stage snowblower for $2000 or $2200 a couple years ago with no issues, a steel cam, and good cosmetics.

Side panels are over $200, I think the hood was $350.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's not just the cam gear that is plastic, it's to whole frickin cam? :laugh:

I had a 1994 445. No steering issues in 1875 hours. Engine was rebuilt when the cam snapped at 825 hours.
Sold mine last spring for $2600.00 w/60" mulch deck and spare blades. Tires at the end of life. Started and ran good. Didn't burn or leak oil.
Make sure to test the hydraulic controls. My up down for the snow blower was seized up. Couldn't engage the float position. Ultimately the reason I sold it. Forgot to exercise it for a few years while using the 1025 for snow duty. Seized tight.

The resale range around here is $2-3K but knowing it needs a cam, oil pump gear and governor assembly, I would shoot for the lower end. Maybe 1800-2200.00

Good machines! (425-445-455)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here’s a pic. I’m not that interested in it. But if anyone is let me know and I’ll give you the contact info. Located close to Harrisburg pa.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Used for tug duty?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It likely does not have the SCV hydraulic couplers, under and in front of the left footboard. They were optional on the 425s back then.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has them.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It's not just the cam gear that is plastic, it's to whole frickin cam?

I had a 1994 445. No steering issues in 1875 hours. Engine was rebuilt when the cam snapped at 825 hours.
Sold mine last spring for $2600.00 w/60" mulch deck and spare blades. Tires at the end of life. Started and ran good. Didn't burn or leak oil.
Make sure to test the hydraulic controls. My up down for the snow blower was seized up. Couldn't engage the float position. Ultimately the reason I sold it. Forgot to exercise it for a few years while using the 1025 for snow duty. Seized tight.

The resale range around here is $2-3K but knowing it needs a cam, oil pump gear and governor assembly, I would shoot for the lower end. Maybe 1800-2200.00

Good machines! (425-445-455)
It is just the cam gear that is plastic. It is riveted onto the metal cam. The govenor gear, water pump gear and I think the oil pump gear are also plastic.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Reference pics of a damaged plastic cam gear, plastic coolant pump gear, plastic oil pump gear, and plastic gov. gear. The steel gear on the crank is not damaged, just some debris laying on a couple teeth. No hour meter on this 320, but knowing how much mowing was done weekly with it, I feel comfortable saying it had over 2000 hours on it at that time. It did get excellent care and the recommended oil changes since new.

This is a vertical model, FD590V, but the 425 engine will look about the same. The operating sleeve of the gov. gear on this one was worn through. The thrust washer was worn, and the shaft was not seated to the spec. in the service manual. I prefer to replace a coolant pump than try to replace just the gear and seals.

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

Pic002.JPG

tommyhawk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts