Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,161 Posts
thanks.... I was thinking the running system was shut off via the key -ignition system, not fuel delivery system.... it shuts off so fast i wouldnt have thought it was the fuel system!
yep ......only two ways to shut a diesel off.......cut the fuel .....or cut the air.....if you cant stop the fuel the go to way to stop a diesel engine is to shove a towel or something in the intake to starve it of air ......diesels do not require any form of electrical ignition

my 4500 has over 2k hrs on it ......never had the fuel solenoid out of it to even understand how oil could get behind the plunger.....but obviously its a seal issue...if its getting into the solenoid then i would replace the whole solenoid unit.....if its in the space between the solenoid rod and fuel plunger then i think its probably a injector pump problem ($$$)

· Registered
3,161 Posts
thanks for the last 2 replies!! this last few days the shut off goes bad every time i turn the tractor off.... 10 minutes or 2 hours... I had to remove the device, pump it by hand to squeeze the oil out and reinstal and bammm, the tractor starts..... I finally figured i shouldnt turn the tractor off until i was done for the day or I wanted to go through the proceedure again.. I ordered a new part...then i am going to disect the old one.. the one in there now IS A REPLACEMENT from about 3 years ago! I found this problem on youtube. two guys posted videos on what they had to do to over come the issue. thats how i found out what to do.. They had mentioned it was a KNOWN problem and lots of tractors in my range. 4100 4200 4300 440 4500 4600 4700. (for JD Driver): since once i pump the oil out of the unit, and reinstall, the tractor starts every time, I figured its not an electrical issue... Im guessing since you more experienced guys didnt know of this issue there is little chance there is a new solution or an improved part!
I would be interested in viewing the video ....so if I ever have a issue I am informed...so if it's convenient you could post it for others thx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.