Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 JD 4320 E-Hydro, 2013 JD 2032R
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4320 with an engine that has started surging while under load. Fuel system has been bled thinking it might be air but no luck. At one point it gave a code 4 but that hasn't returned. Even stationary if you max the throttle it will surge constantly by 500-800 rpm. It works like a rev limiter would do on an automotive gas engine.
Any ideas out there? 2013 vintage with yanmar engine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My first inclination would be something is wrong with the injector pump. But I guess it could be worn or bent linkages possibly.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I have a 4320 with an engine that has started surging while under load. Fuel system has been bled thinking it might be air but no luck. At one point it gave a code 4 but that hasn't returned. Even stationary if you max the throttle it will surge constantly by 500-800 rpm. It works like a rev limiter would do on an automotive gas engine.
Any ideas out there? 2013 vintage with yanmar engine.
If it’s a 4320 it should have a JOhn Deere 2.4 liter powertech engine. Have you did the usual fuel filter change, and verify you have good flow from the mechanical lift pump? Make sure your not sucking air somewhere, and you don’t have algae in the tank.
Err_04 means the engine speed data is abnormal. Not particularly useful.
I can’t think of anything else that would be easy. The dealer may need to get involved if the basic fuel system seems healthy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've changed fuel filter and one fuel line. Drained the tank and checked the screen and it was good. Any chance the fuel pump is bad or weak? I'm tempted to try an electric pump I have kicking around. It's from a Kubota.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Are these engines prone to governor problems?
Not really. The 4320 is a mechanical governor system I believe, whereas my 4720 is all electronically governed, so I'm not intimately familiar with your setup. There have been a case here and there on the internet with very low hour 4x20 having some issues with that sort of thing. I guess they don't get used enough to keep things moving freely. How many hours do you have?
If you were thinking the transfer pump, I would just replace the mechanical one with the one that belongs there.
Maybe the electric one would be fine, but in my tiny mind, I wouldn't be able to totally rule it out if I had cobbled up a different one. I wonder if you could temporarily splice in a clear hose and then you could see bubbles or if the hose started collapsing due to lack of flow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This tractor has about 1300 hrs. My thought with the electric pump was to try it and see if it solved the problem. If so, I would get a new JD pump. Your clear hose idea sounds interesting though.
Also, the surging is very rapid. Should have stated that in my original post. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
This tractor has about 1300 hrs. My thought with the electric pump was to try it and see if it solved the problem. If so, I would get a new JD pump. Your clear hose idea sounds interesting though.
Also, the surging is very rapid. Should have stated that in my original post. Sorry.
that should be enough use to keep things limbered up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts