Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished splitting my '71 4320, replacing the clutch, and rejoining it.

I went to start it, and the starter gives it's standard clunk of the solenoid engaging, but the engine only rotates enough to turn the fan blades about an inch, and no further.

I suspected the batteries were low from sitting while I worked on it over the winter, but I've had them charged now, and still nothing turns.

1) Is there anyway I can safely attempt to manually turn the engine so I can figure out if the engine is obstructed vs the starter isn't turning hard enough? Obviously, if something is obstructed, I don't want to do additional damage by cranking against the obstruction, so roll-starting it is out until I can confirm that nothing is obstructed.

2) If the engine is obstructed, are there likely candidates on what I could've done to obstruct it? (E.G. While the tractor is split moisture gets into the magic-widget bearing causing it to freeze)

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,012 Posts
The tool number is JDE81-1.
You may have placed something in a bind while mating the clutch housing and engine after clutch replacement.
Try supporting the clutch housing and engine again, Loosen all the connecting bolts. Do not remove the bolts. Place the gear shift lever in a high gear. With the clutch housing and engine slightly separated, rock the tractor back and forth. This may loosen up whatever is binding. If the back and forth motion doesn't help, most likely the clutch hub is bent from miss-aligning the splines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tool number is JDE81-1.

That looks like something to use with the tractor split. (Or am I wrong?)

Any ways to test the ability to turn prior to taking an hour to re-split it? Would it work to jack up 1 rear wheel, put it in 8th gear and try to rotate the lifted tire?

You may have placed something in a bind while mating the clutch housing and engine after clutch replacement.
Try supporting the clutch housing and engine again, Loosen all the connecting bolts. Do not remove the bolts. Place the gear shift lever in a high gear. With the clutch housing and engine slightly separated, rock the tractor back and forth. This may loosen up whatever is binding. If the back and forth motion doesn't help, most likely the clutch hub is bent from miss-aligning the splines.
I'll definitely try this. Thanks for offering me some hope of a not-to-nasty fix.

OTOH, if something did get bent, what's a realistic (non-optimistic) guess of what I'll need to replace and rough costs? ($50? $500? $5,000?) "Tell it to me straight, doc."

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
That looks like something to use with the tractor split. (Or am I wrong?)

Any ways to test the ability to turn prior to taking an hour to re-split it? Would it work to jack up 1 rear wheel, put it in 8th gear and try to rotate the lifted tire?

I'll definitely try this. Thanks for offering me some hope of a not-to-nasty fix.

OTOH, if something did get bent, what's a realistic (non-optimistic) guess of what I'll need to replace and rough costs? ($50? $500? $5,000?) "Tell it to me straight, doc."
The differential would allow the lifted tire to rotate and not rotate thru the gears to the engine. You would have both rear tires lifted and the differential lock engaged.

I think a resplit is in order :dunno: :banghead:

·
Registered
15,452 Posts
1. Do you recall when you rejoined the tractor if it closed up easily?

2. Did you have to pull it together by tightening the bolts that hold the clutch housing to the engine block?

If the answer to number 2 is yes, I would agree with Flyweight that you probably need another new engine clutch disc.

I learned from doing it once. But, only once.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Probably too late, but if the clutch friction plate is installed backward it could cause this problem. I base this on automotive work all my life. I do NOT know how this tractor clutch is built.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,012 Posts
That flywheel tool is designed for a 30-55 series & will not work on a '71 4320. One can attempt to turn 4320 with a large flat screwdriver or bar by removing engine timing window cover.I agree clutch plate is probably damaged or installed in reverse position.
Jim is correct.
I was thinking 4230, not 4320, as it does not use the turning tool. My dyslexia took over and my reply was all wrong.

Sorry, :dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.