Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I inherited a 1959 JD 435D but it has narrow setup. Want to use it to brushhog; have used it in past with a 5ft king cutter but was leary when on grades and small hills. Live in Pa but farm is in WV. Anyone that owns a 435 wide front - please reach out to me - I'd like to draw up specs for a wide front and get the part fabricated. Will gladly share drawing with the club, fabricator/price - once project is finished. My friend can said he would use his computer for final specs. Any help is appreciated. Also looking for a good JD diesel mechanic in northern WV area - any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Welcome to GTT.
To my knowledge no tricycle(narrow) frt end 435's were ever produced. A wide frt axle from a 420/430 should bolt on a 435 with no problems after tricycle frt is removed. A JD 2 cyl diesel tricycle utility tractor was built in Argentina numbered the 445

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting- my father purchased it used with narrow front around 1982. I will check front end next time I am at farm. I called wengers.in pa and guy thought wide front would be around 1800 ?&$ so I figure it is easier to fabricate. Do you have any suggestions where I can get a used wide front end?

·
Registered
482 Posts
If it were my tractor, I would buy a used wide front and put it on the tractor. A home built wide front will detract from the value instead of enhance the value. I know, you are never going to sell. But, you are not going to live forever too. If you build the wide front and it does not withstand the use on hills the end may come sooner than later.

It is just not worth the money to build one to me. It may not be you driving the tractor if/when it possibly breaks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
some possible options here

If your 435 has the front end support from a tricycle, I think you should be able to find a wide front for a 420/430T model for less than $1800.

The 420/430T had four front options: single wheel, dual wheel, 48" to 80" wide, and 68" to 88" wide. All you should need is one of the wide axles with hubs, spindles, tie rods, and mounting parts.

The steering box and worm, steering down shaft, main spindle and front end support you have should be fine.

To remove what you have now and replace with all 435 parts is probably going to be more expensive since you will need more parts and I'd guess there are a lot less 435 models parted than 420/430T models.

I would call Mcgrew's in New Paris, IN, and Dengler's in Middletown OH. I've dealt with both and got great service plus I think they are also close to you.

A pic of the front end support area and tag would be great.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hill stability of a wide front vs. a narrow front on an old row-crop is generally a mis-conception as either one is just as likely to roll over on a hillside. A wide front is still hinged where it meets the chassis and therefore offers no additional stability. A high center of gravity when compared to the machine's width has more to do with this problem than anything else. This is why modern tractors are lower, wider, and feature ROPS bars to protect the operator.

Narrow front ends have a few advantages; they make a machine without power steering easier to maneuver at slow speeds, they don't take up as much space in the barn, and in your case, they are rare. I haven't ever heard of a 435 with a narrow front before and if it was a factory option, you may have something that collectors will fight over to have.

If you are going to go with a wide-front, do it with factory parts. If anything so you'll have an easier time ordering parts like tie-rod ends should you break something in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts