Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry that this is my first post, but I have a problem that needs fixing before the next snowstorm comes at the end of the week.

My plastic impeller (blower fan - 2nd stage) on my John Deere 44 in Snowblower attachment is stripped. I can move the impeller by hand clockwise and counterclockwise without the drive shaft moving. Both the shear bolts are intact. Being that the impeller is plastic, I believe the drive shaft and the hexagonal collar stripped the impeller from the inside. A piece of small firewood got stuck and the stinkin' shear bolts did not break. The drive shaft (and the hexagonal collar) kept spinning while the plastic impeller stayed put and the inside of impeller now is stripped. Here's a video I shot to show my problem:

http://vid68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/n8cas/2101B2E0-F7F0-47C8-925D-8287757B9925_zpsqcomtkca.mp4

I think I need a new impeller ($127). Question is, should I have my dealer do the install at $85 an hour for labor (it shouldn't take but 2-3 hrs), or should I do it myself? I found a helpful post of installing an impeller on a 47 / 54 inch snowblower attachment. I'm guessing the install is very similar.

After reading and checking my video, do you think this is my problem? Has anyone had experience with this? What's the best way to handle this problem? Thanks in advance. Another storm is coming and I need to act quickly. - Nate

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sorry that this is my first post, but I have a problem that needs fixing before the next snowstorm comes at the end of the week.

My plastic impeller (blower fan - 2nd stage) on my John Deere 44 in Snowblower attachment is stripped. I can move the impeller by hand clockwise and counterclockwise without the drive shaft moving. Both the shear bolts are intact. Being that the impeller is plastic, I believe the drive shaft and the hexagonal collar stripped the impeller from the inside. A piece of small firewood got stuck and the stinkin' shear bolts did not break. The drive shaft (and the hexagonal collar) kept spinning while the plastic impeller stayed put and the inside of impeller now is stripped. Here's a video I shot to show my problem:

http://vid68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/n8cas/2101B2E0-F7F0-47C8-925D-8287757B9925_zpsqcomtkca.mp4

I think I need a new impeller ($127). Question is, should I have my dealer do the install at $85 an hour for labor (it shouldn't take but 2-3 hrs), or should I do it myself? I found a helpful post of installing an impeller on a 47 / 54 inch snowblower attachment. I'm guessing the install is very similar.

After reading and checking my video, do you think this is my problem? Has anyone had experience with this? What's the best way to handle this problem? Thanks in advance. Another storm is coming and I need to act quickly. - Nate
First of all... WELCOME!!!!!! "IF" a plastic impeller from a 54" fits your blower.... I have a used plastic one here. I took it off in favor of a metal one. I used it two seasons and one blow only this season. It's yours for FREE! Just pay shipping. PM me if this will work for you. Mr. Mouse.

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Premium Member
14,881 Posts
I am unable to access your video.

When you say "both shear bolts" what do you mean? Don't you have two shear bolts on the auger and a third shear bolt on the impeller drive?

I had some trouble finding the parts diagram for the 44" blower. Are you sure part #15 isn't a shear bolt?

44-blower.jpg

*** Never mind - I just finally was able to access the video. Yep - your impeller needs replacing. It is NOT the same as the 47 & 54" impellers.***

Yes, the replacement procedure should be very similar to the 54". You are going to need to remove those two bolts and free up the collar that originally held the impeller in place. Yours looks very rusty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am unable to access your video.

When you say "both shear bolts" what do you mean? Don't you have two shear bolts on the auger and a third shear bolt on the impeller drive?

I had some trouble finding the parts diagram for the 44" blower. Are you sure part #15 isn't a shear bolt?

View attachment 39078

*** Never mind - I just finally was able to access the video. Yep - your impeller needs replacing. It is NOT the same as the 47 & 54" impellers.***

Yes, the replacement procedure should be very similar to the 54". You are going to need to remove those two bolts and free up the collar that originally held the impeller in place. Yours looks very rusty.
Thanks very much. And thanks, housemouse, for the kind offering - but I guess it doesn't fit per the latest post. It is rusty, I bought the snowblower attachment used. How long do you think it will take me to do this job?

·
Premium Member
16,685 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt:

As rusty as things look , I might go for the dealer if they can do it as a quick turn around.

Just wondering why the shear bolt didn't break.. Either way I would be removing the shear bolt or bolts and putting in new ones . I'm guessing someone used some Grade 8 bolts and not Grade 5 bolts.
Didn't really look that close at the part # but sure looks like the 47 impeller.

If everything comes out OK yea guessing it should take 2-4 hrs. While it is apart I would change the bearings and anything else that looks worn.

·
Premium Member
14,881 Posts
It is rusty, I bought the snowblower attachment used. How long do you think it will take me to do this job?

That is impossible to say. Assuming you have all the right tools it could range anywhere from 2 hrs or so if everything comes apart easily to an all-day, curse-the-day-it-was-invented ordeal.

Given that you bought it used I would be tempted to take the etcallhome's advise and take the opportunity to replace all of the bearings and inspect the pulleys. No point going to that effort if there are other parts that are worn out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is impossible to say. Assuming you have all the right tools it could range anywhere from 2 hrs or so if everything comes apart easily to an all-day, curse-the-day-it-was-invented ordeal.

Given that you bought it used I would be tempted to take the etcallhome's advise and take the opportunity to replace all of the bearings and inspect the pulleys. No point going to that effort if there are other parts that are worn out.

Thanks a lot for your help - everyone. This site is much better than that other one. I think you're right about taking it in - I'm just afraid they're going to take me through the ringers. With labor hours, parts and maintenance - I'm looking at 5 bills

·
Premium Member
16,685 Posts
I had bought a used 47" blower 5 yrs ago , at the time it was 5 or 6 yrs old. Used the heck out of it and all was good, till I tried to put 2 large rocks through the blower. Doing a friend a favor and of course didn't see the rocks , even with grade 5 bolts and they sheared still managed to ruin the back shaft that holds the chain. Could not get it apart, took it with me when I went to pick up the parts I had ordered . Dealer got the shaft off for me while I was talking to the parts dept. No charge, thanked them put everything back together. Had I think close to $150. in parts and about 4 hrs total of my time.
Since then some postings shows how to work on the 47 and 54 would help lessen that time.
If you have a good dealer they can be your friend in your time of need.

In other words don't be afraid to ask for help if you run into a problem or ask on here .
Most of the time the dealer is closer to you than our members , but we will still try and help you . :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm lucky in the sense that my dealer is on my way to work 15 minutes away, but they've been steep and sometimes as clueless as I am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After checking the manual - there's really not much maintenance needed:

Each Use
• Check for loose hardware.
Beginning of Season
• Lube vertical driveshaft.
• Lube lift lock pin.
• Check and adjust lift height.
• Check skid shoes and scraper blade. Replace if necessary.
• Check belts, Replace if worn.
End of Season
• Lube lift lock pin.
Grease
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Use recommended John Deere greases to avoid component failure and premature wear.
The recommended John Deere greases are effective within an average air temperature range of -29 to 135 degrees C (-20 to 275 degrees F).
If operating outside that temperature range, contact your Servicing dealer for a special-use grease.

The following greases are preferred:
• John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease
• John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease
If not using any of the preferred greases, be sure to use a general all-purpose grease with an NLGI grade No.2 rating.
Wet or high speed conditions may require use of a special-use grease. Contact your Servicing dealer for information.
Gear Case Oil

MIF
Use oil viscosity based on the expected air temperature range during the period between oil changes
The following John Deere gear case oil is preferred:
• GL-5 GEAR LUBRICANT® (SAE 80W-90)
The following John Deere gear case oil is also recommended if preferred oil is not available:
• GL-5 GEAR LUBRICANT® (SAE 85W-140)
Other gear case oils may be used if recommended John Deere gear case oils are not available, provided they meet the following specification:
• API Service Classification GL–5.
Checking Gearbox Lubricant
The gearbox does not have serviceable components. However, there is a removable plug for checking gearbox lubricant level, and adding lubricant, if necessary.

MX36990
To check gearbox lubricant level:
1. This service should be performed with the snowblower removed from the machine.
2. With blower gearbox approximately level, remove plug (A) gearbox. Lubricant level should be to the bottom of the check plug hole. Add, 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Oil, if necessary.

That's it. I don't know if I can scrape together 4-5 hundred right now. Might do it myself. Need to do more research. I can't find any replacing of the 44 inch impeller posts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the dealer replace the blower fan (impeller). It ended up costing $349. The blower fan (Impeller) was $127.43. They replaced two Idlers at $17 bucks a pop and a couple new bolts & nuts as well. Labor was about $150. They had to use the torch to get the old blower fan out - being plastic and so close to the flame it caught on fire. I asked about the grade of the shear bolts for the blower fan and they said it was the same as the auger shear bolts. I knew that was not the case; grabbed me some of the right bolts from parts and will replace them. The reason my blower fan stripped the way it did was because the collar or coupler that attaches the blower fan to the the two-part vertical driveshaft, was extremely rusted. They put never-cease on it. What can I do to make sure that an already rusty driveshaft doesn't cause the same situation all over again?

It would have been great if they filed down the rust or something, but I needed the snowblower before they closed at 3pm (they started the job at noon).

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Glad you are all fixed up, going to need your blower tomorrow....I took my 47" blower apart 2x this year at 5 years old, first time took about 6 hrs due to rust and never had done it before, second time took about 3 1/2.... Start to finish, getting ready for the nascar pits with my wrenching skills:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts

The reason your impeler shear bolts did not shear is because you shaft is rusted to the hex sleve in the impeller. I just had my impeller shear bolt break on my 2016 44" snow blower and I had to take the entire auger assembly apart and needed a bearing puller to remove the plastic impeller. Was not easy due to corrosion between shaft and hex sleve. In your case, due to the level of rust it will be very difficult or even impossible to remove from the shaft. I would suggest taking it to a dealer to fix because they will need a torch or cutter to remove the impeller from the shaft.

·
Registered
490 Posts
n8cas,

As you mentioned, they placed Never-Seez on the shaft before they installed the impeller back on the shaft. That is half the battle. Others, mostly on the 47 and 54 snow blowers have either put Never-Seez or installed a grease zerk when they installed replacement impellers. Come spring, I would remove the shear bolt, and make sure the impeller spins freely, and repeat again in the fall when you get ready to mount the blower onto your tractor. The problem arises, it seems when the owners don't do that step for a number poof years and then they find that the impeller housing is seized to the shaft.

Dave

·
Registered
479 Posts
This post is from Jan 27, 2015

1 - 15 of 15 Posts