Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I just joined tonight because I'm in need of help.. I'm gonna skip introductions for now. Short story, long. I'm using a 4400 as a primary tractor on a beef farm. I use it hard. It came with turf tires on it and the rims they mount on. I put up with it as long as I can. I have to move on. Ag tires are not available on my rims. I go to a local John Deere dealer and the proper rims are available and this dealer does pretty well for farms on price. Get a quote on two part numbers for front and rear rims just over $1000. No big deal. I go to pick up and they tell me they think they are missing something. I look at the rear rims and they appear to be a universal 10/24 empty rim with 4 loop holes on it simply painted yellow (and for $350 each, a regular 10/24" rim with 4 loops is typically $125). I'm told I need to order the center pieces or rear tires centers and that it was overlooked. I ask how much more the rear tire centers will be?. Bam, more than the rear rims themselves; $380 a piece. So I drop back and punt. Now it's close to $2000 dollars of aggravation which is just under double what I anticipated. I look aftermarket. Find some great prices at Globalpartszone and sleep on it.

Today I woke up jumped on the computer. Google John Deere 4400 with ag tires. Looked at a bunch of images. Found a picture of a 3025E with aggies on it. It looked similar in size. Went to tractor data . com. It listed the same 7x14 and 11.2 by 24 tires that the 4400 calls for. I went to john deere parts catalogue 3025E found the rim rims that are listed for these size tires and they are the same sizes as mine 6x14 and 10x14 and the rear one is available as a one piece and guess what a quick search suggests that if it works it will be Approx. $275-$290 cheaper to purchase just the rear rims.

So I drive to a local John Deere dealers ( a different one) and they happen to have a 3025e in the yard with the exact same turf tires i'm trying to do away with. So I'm there to measure the Pilot hole and bolt pattern. The pilot hole is 4&5/8 same as my 4400. I measure bolt pattern and it's 6"x6 same as mine. Tractor is very similar in size. 4400 is an older style and the 3025e is still available new. Can anyone that reads this think of any reason why I should not try these rims at $290 cheaper per side???

My thoughts is that they will bolt up fine and the offset/inset might make my tractor a little wider which is fine with me as I'm on hilly terrain. I'm sure they will order that parts at a local dealer and I like to support local but money is a factor and I might save $100 online I buy online. Thoughts on using dealer vs. online???

Looking forward to any responses,

Johnny Lindquist

·
Administrator
20,883 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
Since your not 100% sure on the fitment I'd use the local dealer and ask about returns, or maybe they would let you actually try the 3025 wheels. If for some reason they don't fit and you buy online, that $100 savings will be gone in a flash with return shipping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I actually tried to get a parts guys at two places to commit to saying these 3025E rims #LVA20515 will fit my 4400 and almost did but not quite. Instead he rattled off an industrial tire that will fit my current rims. I’m considering that route but am almost certain that these will work. Just a little skeptical on pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
715 Posts
So I actually tried to get a parts guys at two places to commit to saying these 3025E rims #LVA20515 will fit my 4400 and almost did but not quite. Instead he rattled off an industrial tire that will fit my current rims. I’m considering that route but am almost certain that these will work. Just a little skeptical on pulling the trigger.
Trust the force, Luke.

No one will warrant an off label use. There is nothing but bad juju in it for them.

You measured the wheels' bolt pattern. Go back and measure the offset. If it's the same (or more negative), then you should be golden. If I'm wrong, that is on you for trusting some strange dude on the internet for advice!

Al

·
Registered
715 Posts
On a less playful and more serious note.....

The one gotcha I can think of is that some older Deere tractors are rebadged Yanmars.

I would expect that a tractor designed and manufactured in the USA would likely stick with backwards compatibility on wheels and other common components for as long as possible even after much of the newly designed components have switched to metric. Auto manufacturers still use a mishmash of metric and USS fasteners for NA regional platforms (e.g. full size pickup trucks, land yachts). The global platforms are all metric.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'd be surprised if 6"x 6 isn't a US standard going back decades.

A metric tractor would likely be 150mm x 6. 150mm is 5.9055". maybe too close to see the difference with a tape measure (you didn't say how you measured the 4400 wheels). I'd double check carefully.

In a brief Google search, I was unable to find the specs for bolt patterns and offsets for Deere tractors.

Al

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Have you checked any used salvage yards for rims. I got my 1020 from my grandmother it had AG tires and since I was using it to mow I wanted Turff tires. I got a set at auction then had to find rims. I got a nice set from a salvage yard for 300$. Of ourse thAt was in 92 but just two years ago I bought a nice set of Turff tires mounted on rims for 500$ on eBay, had them fedex on a pallet from North Carolina for 125$ and for 625 I have a real nice set cheaper than one rim would cost new

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I would make a template in cardboard of either the 4400 bolt pattern or the 3025e and then see if it matches up and use that as your determining factor if you are not that concerned about offset. I would also pay special attention to the bolt holes on the rims and make sure they will accept the bolt or lug nut you use on the 4400. Tractor data.com shows a 4400 with R4 tires on it and they look good. I have R4's on my 3025E and they work pretty well if there isn't a lot of mud. If the ground I am on is super muddy then I can lose traction, not sure what kind of surface you are dealing with. One other thing to consider is staying with turfs and putting chains on, I have seen folks do that before with good success and it's much cheaper than buying new rims and tires. :bigbeer:

I would say a 4400 is made by Yanmar and isn't a re-badged Yanmar. I know semantic but I have seen Yanmars of that era and they do not look anything like what JD had Yanmar make. Also the 3025E is all metric minus the hydraulic connections just like the 4400 is. :greentractorride:

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did scour the Internet looking at the usual places for used. I found nothing. I am concerned with what you are saying about the metric vs standard sizes however the parts guy did run this through his JD parts expert program and it did come back as a 6” bolt pattern. It did not say 6”x6 just simply 6. Center hole was 4.61 or something of that nature which is pretty close to 4&5/8 I measured. My math tells me 4.625 would be 4&5/8.
I wasn’t concerned about the bolt hole pattern until now so I guess we will see. To the naked eye however armed with a tape measure it looks identical. I guess time will tell as I ordered the rims yesterday from my local guy. Should have them by Wednesday so I’ll keep everybody posted.

Offset depth is another concern but wheel spacers will hopefully be an option if that becomes a problem.

Sorry for sone reason I had trouble logging in the past couple days but thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So I did scour the Internet looking at the usual places for used. I found nothing. I am concerned with what you are saying about the metric vs standard sizes however the parts guy did run this through his JD parts expert program and it did come back as a 6” bolt pattern. It did not say 6”x6 just simply 6. Center hole was 4.61 or something of that nature which is pretty close to 4&5/8 I measured. My math tells me 4.625 would be 4&5/8.
I wasn’t concerned about the bolt hole pattern until now so I guess we will see. To the naked eye however armed with a tape measure it looks identical. I guess time will tell as I ordered the rims yesterday from my local guy. Should have them by Wednesday so I’ll keep everybody posted.

Offset depth is another concern but wheel spacers will hopefully be an option if that becomes a problem.

Sorry for sone reason I had trouble logging in the past couple days but thanks for all the responses.
Have you looked for tires/wheels/centers from tucker tire? They are located in Dyersburg TN but ship all over the country. You can usually find multiple listings from them for tire/wheel combos on eBay. Their number is 888-248-7146 or 731-285-8520. If things don't work out for you with your local guy give these folks a call, I'm fairly sure they can help you out.

Here is a link to their eBay store
http://stores.ebay.com/TUCKER-TIRE-COMPANY

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
With the known exceptions to me; the 4200 - 4400 series is all metric except the hydraulic system fittings and the engine oil drain plug.

I would think that as long as the rims' part numbers are the same between the two tractors listed; then the O.P. should be good to go.

This is all my 4200 - 4400 shop manual had on 4400 tire and wheel specs.

Text Font Line Number Screenshot

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So here is the spec from John Deere on the rim from the 3025e.

Two points that’s that make me nervous is that if i look up my current wheel am122842 on line (not through John Deere) it tells me the pilot whole is 4.831 as opposed to the 3025e wheel Lva 20515 spec which is 4.630.

It also states a difference in hole size JD .589 vs online .531.

However if I look up the other option wheel am122844 for my tractor online I come up with a hole different set of numbers. Pilot whole is listed as 4.648 and bolt hole .636. So “global parts zone” specs may not be accurate.

By the way. If you run some part numbers at that website you get some really optimistic prices.

So unfortunately I was to anxious to take some of the advice you guys gave me. I guess we will see how good my eye is in a couple days.

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sometimes you have to knock a wheel stud or two off for different wheels to work.
Another option would be to use a drill bit and waller the holes out for the studs to line up.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So it’s been a while since I last logged in. I did order rear rims for a 3025e and put them on my 4400 allowing me to put AG tires on and not have to buy the rim and center piece for the ridiculous amount of money they wanted for them. Saved around $600. No, John Deere would not verify anything for me. Yes, they did bolt up perfectly. I probably also widened my wheel base by a couple inches and couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Are you changing the fronts as well?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
On a less playful and more serious note.....

The one gotcha I can think of is that some older Deere tractors are rebadged Yanmars.....
When I was shopping for my first tractor about 1998, the Deere/Kubota dealer told me Deere didn't manufacture tractors at/under 30 HP. I wanted to buy a U.S. made tractor but the Kubota and Deere I was looking at were both Japanese :dunno:. I have no idea if Deere makes the smaller tractors now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you changing the fronts as well?

So after squaring away the rear tires I cross referenced the front rims from deere (approx. $200 each) with a similar rim on gemplers. I was just about to order the gemplers rim for $90 when I noticed a manufacture number on their web page. I searched the manufacturer number and it game back to a titan product. which I then cross referenced with my deere catalog and they were the identical rim just in an odd beige color and the best part is that it's a titan rim and I paid $50 a piece and $9 shipping.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So after squaring away the rear tires I cross referenced the front rims from deere (approx. $200 each) with a similar rim on gemplers. I was just about to order the gemplers rim for $90 when I noticed a manufacture number on their web page. I searched the manufacturer number and it game back to a titan product. which I then cross referenced with my deere catalog and they were the identical rim just in an odd beige color and the best part is that it's a titan rim and I paid $50 a piece and $9 shipping.
It would be sweet if you posted the front and rear rim aftermarket part numbers for others to reference in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
It would be sweet if you posted the front and rear rim aftermarket part numbers for others to reference in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes please! I've always hated the offset and tire width on the 4400 turf tire.
I know they are titan wheels and that the wider wheels will fit.
I ran them reversed for while but they rubbed the MMM and look a little odd.
I need to buy 1 new tire so now would be the time to do it.

Here is the gempler wheel https://www.gemplers.com/product/8504/6-Hole-Ag-Wheel That i think will work.

Can't locate the titan wheel anywhere

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Conclusion

I'm sorry I thought I had replied with the final scenario and part numbers.

For the rears I did end up buying the rear AG wheels for the 3025E. I think I paid around $500 vs the $1100 the wanted for the two piece rim for the 4400.

The AG tire size and AG wheel number;
11.2xR24 LVA20515

For the fronts I did not order them through John Deere. The were looking for somewhere around $180 a piece. And I will not take the time to cross reference the 3025e and 4400 here.

AG tire size 7xR14

As mentioned in a previous post on this thread the $90 gemplers 14x6 6 whole ag wheel with 4&5/8 center whole is correct (NOTE the manufacturers number of 105398 in the specs on gempler web site).

However if you take the manufacturers number, throw titan in front of it and search the internet you can pay as little as $50 dollars at farmwheel.com.

Titan 105398
or
Titan 982-0413753
or
Titan JD1093

The same wheel is currently shipping on amazon for $67 as I needed one since I chewed one up with a tire spoon in frustration. You will need to scuff and spray bomb the wheel with some JD implement yellow but it is indeed a titan rim. I am currently running the Ag tires on the rear and the turfs on the front. Perhaps this has contributed to the ongoing problem I've had with my 4 wheel drive and the inadequate drive shaft set up. I think the pinion gear is stripped out or close to. I've had problems with it for years ever since I started moving 1200lb round bales around with it in the snow. But I'll start a new thread for this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts