Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 4066R with a 440R loader and heavy duty bucket. After waiting for several weeks for my bucket to come in, I finally had a chance to try it and the loader out.

I have a manure compost pile that needed to be turned. When I drove the bucket into the bottom of the pile and pulled back on the loader's SLC (joystick), nothing happened. I tried it several times, same result. Then, suspecting that maybe the load was too heavy, I backed out about a foot and tried it again. This time it worked as advertised.

I have two theories as to why my first attempt didn't work:

Theory 1: As I mentioned above, maybe the load was too heavy. We have had a rainy June and maybe I was fighting suction in the lower part of the compost pile?

Theory 2: I was running the loader at about 1900 rpms. Maybe I need to run the loader at PTO speed (2600 rpms)?

Theory 3: Theory 1 AND Theory 2 together.

Maybe some of the Forum's gurus have a 4th Theory that I didn't think of? I assume there is no hydraulic adjustment on either the loader or tractor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
A full bucket of that sweet honey can be pretty heavy. You need to move the joystick between curl and lift continuously while pushing into the pile. If you are unable to lift it, then take smaller bites. When you get a bucket full, the bucket should be fully curled back as it lifts. You should be able to lift 2,000#.

Dave

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you were just lifting vertically, do that but with bucket curl. I don't have to run at 2600 rpm to use my loader, I usually run at 1800 rpm or so.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
I'm going to vote for theory #1. I play in our compost pile quite a bit with my 2038R, it can be very dense and like others have said, it requires curl and lift to get a full bucket out of the pile.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I would be curious if it happens again.
I can’t imagine a bucket full of manure Weighing over 3k.
I have the same tractor, same HD bucket, same loader. i Have yet to find any material I can’t pickup a heaping bucket full, rock, sand , dirt , wet dirt. Wet sand. Seems really strange .

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
Don't believe they do, but I can drive our 2555 into the same pile and cannot with a level bucket pick it straight up, and I know that picks up more than a 4 series.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would be curious if it happens again.
I have the same tractor, same HD bucket, same loader. i Have yet to find any material I can’t pickup a heaping bucket full, rock, sand , dirt , wet dirt. Wet sand. Seems really strange .
compost likes to bind together when its wet, so unless you can separate the fibers, the material the loader is trying to lift is much more than just what is in the bucket

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
compost likes to bind together when its wet, so unless you can separate the fibers, the material the loader is trying to lift is much more than just what is in the bucket
Exactly right, I find I can curl but have to back out just a little in order to lift. Lift a little and then drive it back in and the amount it picks up is about twice what the capacity of the bucket is. As stated above, compost is very much different than picking dirt or stone.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
I know this is a much smaller tractor, but the concept is the same, this is my video moving my compost pile a couple of weeks ago.While you have much stronger hydraulics you also have a larger bucket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, thanks to all that replied, I learned a lot. With my old Ford 5000 and its commercial loader I never had a problem lifting anything, including manure compost. But with the new JD, I guess I have to learn to adapt to its loader/bucket system . . . like curling the bucket as I lift.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
The main purpose of curling the bucket is to help get a full bucket.

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
OK, thanks to all that replied, I learned a lot. With my old Ford 5000 and its commercial loader I never had a problem lifting anything, including manure compost. But with the new JD, I guess I have to learn to adapt to its loader/bucket system . . . like curling the bucket as I lift.

Thanks again.
Our Ford 5000 will pick up a house too, guess things were different in the 70’s. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts