Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here from Monterey Ca. I am helping my landlord get his tractor up and running. I fixed his brush hog(barb wire wrapped on blade shaft,took out the seal,lost all gear lube,bearings did not fare well nor the shaft).
Anyways, got a new transmission mounted on the brush hog and filled it with gear lube and then no working PTO on his tractor. We have a manual and i have checked as far as the rocker switch. I need to get to the solenoids but not sure how to access them. Do we remove the entire deck surface(foot platform?) Can we access from underneath? Any suggestions as to what to check and how to get to them also would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

·
Administrator
18,767 Posts
Tom.
See if this video helps:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom.
See if this video helps:
Thanks, this is great info and I am started on it now. I pressure washed the area where the solenoids are, there was so much oil and grime I couldn't really see the bolts etc...
I drained the fluid out of the transmission, and expected 6.8 gallons or so. Did i misread that somewhere? This is what came out.
hydfluid.jpg

The buckets are 4.5 gallons. If this is way way overfilled, could that cause some pto problems? My suspicion is no, but it did seem to cause a lot of leaks.

·
Administrator
18,767 Posts
Wow, is that all oil or is there water mixed in?

Here is a link to the owners manual: OMLVU13193_H2

Shows: Hydrostatic Model: Approximately 26 L (6.8 gal).

I'm not sure what effect being that overfull would be.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removed solenoid block and cleaned and tested the operation of both the pto and drive solenoids good. At least,they operate removed from the block and tested 12 volt direct. Seems like the actual travel of the valve is about 1/4" Does that seem ok?

I drained all the excess fluid and then removed the back cover and peered inside. No broken gears,no physical damage I could see, no chunks of metal in the fluid.

Closed it all up and filled with 6.8 gallons and tried it again. Still, no joy. I feel the solenoid click when the pto switch is on, and I have verified 12v on the solenoid plug when there should be. But maybe the solenoid is not clicking as firmly as it should? Like it is weak and not pulling all the way.

So, I think I need an actual pressure test on the pto test port but i don't have a gauge. I did loosen the plug, and hit the switch, and i could feel the pressure behind the plug itself.
Time to check harbor freight.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removed solenoid block and cleaned and tested the operation of both the pto and drive solenoids good. At least,they operate removed from the block and tested 12 volt direct. Seems like the actual travel of the valve is about 1/4" Does that seem ok?

I drained all the excess fluid and then removed the back cover and peered inside. No broken gears,no physical damage I could see, no chunks of metal in the fluid.

Closed it all up and filled with 6.8 gallons and tried it again. Still, no joy. I feel the solenoid click when the pto switch is on, and I have verified 12v on the solenoid plug when there should be. But maybe the solenoid is not clicking as firmly as it should? Like it is weak and not pulling all the way.

So, I think I need an actual pressure test on the pto test port but i don't have a gauge. I did loosen the plug, and hit the switch, and i could feel the pressure behind the plug itself.
Old post, but still the same problem. I have been asked to revisit this, and I have. I hooked a pressure gauge up the the pto test port, and the pressure very sloly climbed to about 20 psi.

Old post, but still the same problem. My landlord asked me to revisit this, and I have. I hooked a pressure gauge up the the pto test port, and the pressure very slowly climbed to about 20 psi.It took about 15 seconds to slowly ramp up. At this point the pto started to turn, but as soon as I switched it off and back on it did the same slow crawl up to 15-20 psi.

Does anyone know how much pressure I should see there? I could not find it in the manual, but I have a feeling 20 is low. Also, I think I will take off the test port plug and test the 4wd circuit. I imagine both pressure should be about the same. Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts