Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first large tractor and I am wondering what RPM to run it under load, when I am loading millings. Reason I am asking is because it seams to me that it is wining louder then it should. I am running it at the PTO rpm which I think is 25 or 28th. So next question do I have enough hydraulic fluid. I did run two hydraulic lines from back ports to front for a grapple bucket, I added on front. I did add some fluid and it shows full in sight glass when off and half full when running. The prob is I don't know what the norm how it is supposed to sound and don't want to damage anything. Thanks for the help I have been picking up tips from reading the other threads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congratulations on the tractor!
I have a 4400 I hardley ever run it up that high.
2400 maybe when mowing.
Otherwise what ever feels right.
Maybe not a good answer, but I think it's easier to tell you are lugging it than it screaming along for no reason.
JMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
As far as viewing the sight glass you are OK. The norm would be the glass being half full after a couple hours after shutting down with the loader on the ground and the 3 point hitch lowered.

It will always read less while running. In fact if it is at 1/2 as described above you likely won't see anything in the glass while running.

As far as the whining - what gear are you using going into the pile? I am assuming a hydro transmission. You should use the lowest gear when going into a pile and feather the go pedal. The goal is to fill the bucket without spinning the tires. If you are in too high a gear that will case some excessive whining.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Eric, :gtfam:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 4044M and I run at 1500-2000 rpm doing loader work and general tractor stuff. I find that if it won't do it at 2000 rpm with the loader, it won't do it at all, even if I increase the throttle. In my tractor, this RPM range (1500-2000) not only makes the hydraulics more responsive, but also prevents excessive soot from accumulating in my DPF. You don't have to worry about this, but lugging on the tractor at low or just above idle for a long period of time or under load is not good.

The only time I run at PTO speed, is when I'm running the rotary cutter or I'm traveling on a paved road in high gear from one property to the next.

If the tractor is in too high of a gear or too low of an RPM for what I'm trying to do, it will let out a squeal something awful.

The other guys here or the owner's manual can give you a good idea about fluid levels during operation. If you don't have an OM, you should be able to download one for free from JD's website or a Google search.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info it is a big help, I didn't think about the what gear I was in. Also the sounds it would make if I was working at to low of an RPM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts