Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another episode different forum! Had 4430 P/S transmission leased out to run cotton module builder this past season, when they were roading to field the hand said he was gearing up after getting on pavement and it locked up, would not move, they drug it to ditch with 4840, transmission locked, and got it unhooked. When I went to investigate the shifter was a in forward gear position & the park pawl engaged, had to disconnect park cabie, pull transmission cover and pry park paw to disengage, engine runs 0 hydraulics, I know the damper exploded because I found pieces of springs coming out of barring tool hoie in block that didn't have plug in it. Got where I could load & take to my shop. Have not had a chance to split. From what I investigated so far the hand driving somehow got it in gear with park still engaged, because I cannot get shift lever back to neutral position, shifting tower worn? Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
IIRC when park pawl is engaged into gear tractor can not/will not move without sliding rear tires unless park pawl is disengaged or pawl/pivot pin is broken. Jack up one rear tire & try to get park pawl out of gear. I imagine your assessment that damper clutch has failed is correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4, I got park paw disengaged, had to unhook park cable at transmission, pull transmission cover, pry up paw & disengaged, got it to roll free, after engaging tow lever, so I could load it. Still sitting at my shop, haven't had chance to split. What I was getting at is the way I found shifter, in forward gear position, and park paw engaged, can't get shifter back to neutral position, without disassembling shifting tower?, somehow hand got tractor in gear with park paw engaged, in turn blew torsion damper.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You definitely need to rework your shifter assembly. Apparently worn or misadjusted parts allowed shifter to go into gear without coming out of park. I worry that you had to remove transmission cover to disengage park. Lever on side of transmission should have rotated easily with shift cable unhooked. You may have internal damage to park mechanism as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The big tires were in ruts where they drug tractor off pavement into ditch, thinking back, I believe I pulled cover for inspection, tried to pry pawl, had to hook chain to truck & rock tractor then it popped out of park. I know that moving shifter from forward speed back to neutral, before this mishap, seems like it had to be worked to a certain position. Certainly the torsion damper exploded as a result of being in gear & park simultaneously?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts