Green Tractor Talk banner

4440 SCV continuous use question

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Tx Jim 
#1 ·
I'm looking at options for supplying hydraulic flow to an orbit motor that drives a bale feeding machine.

I'm wondering which would be the better choice. Simply both hoses plugged into the SCV couplers, or use one for supply and then put the return directly into the filter can? Maybe it doesn't make much difference? The operation will be for hours on end, not just short runs.

#2 · (Edited)
IMHO I would just attach both hoses to the scv & turn flow control valve to lowest setting for orbit motor to operate correctly. I think LH scv returns to trans pump charge circuit. Ported filter cover on JD rowcrop tractors requires 2 parts(ported cover & a spacer). Another option for powering orbit motor would be a PBY block(item 7 2nd photo).

Attachments

#4 ·
The power beyond would be in series with the other add-ons, whereas a tee would add something in parallel. In an open center hydraulic system, all valves must be in series, otherwise the fluid will "take the path of least resistance"back to the tank, and that would not be the valve demanding fluid.

Reactions: Greenbayouboy
#6 ·
The way I understand the use of PBY block on JD closed-center hyd systems such as this 4440 is hyd oil returned to PBY block is routed to trans pump intake circuit while oil teed from hyd system is normally returned to sump or ported filter cover. Returning hyd oil to sump on JD tractors that trans pump moves oil continuously whether traction clutch is engaged/disengaged isn't as detrimental to operation of hyd's as on tractors where trans pump stops moving oil when traction clutch is depressed. Example would be JD rowcrop tractor with syncro-range trans vs rowcrop tractor with powershift or quad-range trans(trans pump is driven continuously by hex shaft)

#7 ·
This is a syncro range tractor, and the operation of this unit would be strictly stationary. As planned, it will be PTO on and orbit motor turning during operation. No clutch, brakes, steering, or any other hydraulic functions would be utilized.

As I see it, with this type of power beyond block, both pressure and return ports connect to basically the same passages as the SCV. If so, then the oil flow throughout the tractor would be the same, whether one uses the valve and couplers or taps into the block. I think using the couplers is the simplest way to go, with little to be gained by looking elsewhere.

#8 ·
I agree scv is the simplest/easiest method to power orbit motor. I mentioned PBY block due to your possibly needing scv to control other hyd functions. 4440 Syncro-range trans also has trans pump driven by hex shaft powered from engine flywheel.

When I referred to Syncro-range trans in earlier post I was thinking of the 20 series rowcrop tractors that trans stops turning when traction clutch pedal is depressed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.