Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

First time to post and grateful for the site. Looks like a fantastic resource. Recently purchased 60 acres in the rolling hills of Nicholas County, KY with the intent to do a little "lifestyle" farming as my Ag Credit agent likes to call it! Farm was originally set up for cow calf operations and my plans will be to start with some steer backgrounding before any small heard development. It is time to consider a tractor purchase and I have been researching used equipment. Shiny and new would be great but I think for the cost and moderate usage that I can get by with something used if shopped well plus this will be for farm only and very little custom work. I am also a sucker for the scratch and dent sale which gives me something to fix up and paint in my down time.

John Deere 4440

For the horsepower and price point I am leaning towards the 4440 series as the first choice. I have not noticed an overwhelming number of them for sale would indicate, to me anyway, that many are still in service with their current owners. I have notice even fewer 4WD versions of this series up for sale. With the aforementioned in mind, I would appreciate any feedback from the membership on the following questions:

1. Any major issues with the 4440 that should be addessed when tire kicking?

2. For those that own or have owned, what has been your experience with overall maintenance and repair cost?

3. Are replacement parts reasonable and available?

4. The 4WD is not necessary, but would be a bonus given the hill grade on the farm. Is this a legitamate 4WD option or a series of breakdown repairs waiting to happen?

5. Are there any one or two items that as an owner you absolutley did not care for after owning the tractor for some time either in performance or function?

Again, I appreciate any time devoted to a reply and wish you all well over the coming weekend

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have always wanted a 4440. The farm we partner with has 2 of them and they are great tractors. I have always liked the looks of them and the rounded cab has been something that I have always based my idea of what a Deere should look like from.

If you can get a 4x4 one, I would. It just makes all the tasks that might push a 2wd that mich simpler and in most cases easier on the tractor as you are not jamming on the rear diff lock all day.

I wish I had more information for you.:bye:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 4440 is a very good tractor and very popular in its time. Without doing research, I'd venture to guess that it was the #1 seller in the 40-series. Parts should be easy to find.

The reason that you don't see many 4440's with 4WD is because Deere had a hydraulic-drive front axle system in that era and it was a rare option. (When I was a kid, a neighborhood farmer found a 4040 with the 4WD and pulled a three-way axle switch with his 4040, 4840, and 6620 combine to build something that Deere wouldn't...a 4840 with 4WD. That was pretty cool to see.) A mechanically-driven front axle is superior to a hydraulic one and that is what Deere went to on the 50-series and later. In order to get a 4WD in that size of tractor, you'll likely need to go to something built in the mid-80s & later...especially if you stay with Deere.

You may wish to consider a 4050 or 4055 with 4WD which may do a similar amount of work as a 4440 2WD. You will also get the chance of the 15-speed power shift transmission in the 50-series & 55-series tractors. The 4050 should be about $30K with the MFWD. Another option may be a 3255 which will be a hair smaller but still a nice machine.

Maybe this is a forum violation for recommending something other than Deere, but I'd look really hard at a Case IH 5140 or 5240. Great, powerful, nimble tractors with shuttle shift and a nearly bullet-proof Cummins engine. I recommended the same Case IH models to friends of mine earlier in the year. They didn't listen to me. Instead, they bought a 4240 2WD. The good thing is that they are happy with it.

I can spend hours on http://www.tractorhouse.com/ researching my wants. TractorHouse.com would be a good place for you to check out. You can learn a lot in a short period of time.

By the way, I was at two Cahall Bros. locations in the past year (Georgetown, OH & Flemingsburg). I think that you'd have a good dealer there. Also, hang onto your round bales. It seemed that I saw several bales that collided with either trees or fences on that short drive from Mt. Sterling to Flemingsburg!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Todd
Sounds as if EquipmentJunkie answered your questions very well. I was employed at JD dealer when 4440's were sold new. Their nick name was "Iron Horse". Due to the absence of electronics they are more sought after models than some newer models. I've owned a 4255 since '93 with 11,000+ hrs of use & can attest that they are very good tractors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts