Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my 445 last Sunday and it was dead - nothing. No headlights, no dash lights, no start, no nothing. I checked the battery and had around 12.7 volts. Checked voltage at the starter and had nearly the same. So, I deduced that the problem was the ignition switch. I found that the part number had subbed up several times. I changed the switch and module after work today. Now, the dash indicator lights work, the head and tail lights work, the starter turns. However, the fuel pump doesn't operate when the key is turned on, nor does the indicator light for the fuel system light.

So where did I screw up this easy job?:banghead:

Thanks,
Don

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Super Moderator
2,458 Posts
Fuse?

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two that are mounted to the module came with it, but that doesn't mean they are good. There is another one in the harness that I checked by appearance, but neglected to check with the continuity tester. I'll check all of them when I get home from work tomorrow.

Thanks for the response. I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the nudge kylew. I removed the fuel pump fuse and was prepared to check it for continuity and then thought it a waste of time. Put a new fuse in turned on the switch, heard the fuel pump, moved switch to start and away it went. I should have known better than to trust the fuse because it didn't show as blown.

So, we're on our way to 2000 hours.

Thanks again for the reminder.

·
Super Moderator
2,458 Posts
Sweet. Sometimes the forest through the trees. ? Glad you got her going.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Sometimes you say to yourself it can't be that simple,but it was.Good thing the electrical gremlins didn't get in there and cause headaches. :good2:

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes you say to yourself it can't be that simple,but it was.Good thing the electrical gremlins didn't get in there and cause headaches. :good2:
You're telling me. I'm not real good with electrical, as you can see.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Maybe only the fuse and no need for a new ignition switch :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
You're telling me. I'm not real good with electrical, as you can see.:banghead:
Glad to hear you got it running, Don.

I found a 445 very near me for sale earlier this week. Extremely clean, original owner, a whopping 645 hours on it. He wants $4,695 with the 60" deck.

It doesn't appear he has any other attachments for it, which is odd as most 445, 455 owners seems to have the deck and usually the front quick attach hitch and the 54" blade or 47" Two Stage Snow Thrower (I actually have both snow tools) and the ever popular MC519 Cart.........

So, Don, how many hours do you have on your 445 now, since you said you are on your way to 2,000 hours?

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe only the fuse and no need for a new ignition switch :dunno:
The fuse only protects the fuel system. When it quit, everything went dark. As soon as I connected everything from the new switch/module, the lights, warning lights, PTO and starter worked. Only the fuel pump was dead. If I thought that the fuse was even a remote possibility, I would be kicking myself in the arse. As it is, I'm only mad at myself for not checking the fuse before posting the question. It looked OK, but obviously wasn't.

Glad to hear you got it running, Don.

I found a 445 very near me for sale earlier this week. Extremely clean, original owner, a whopping 645 hours on it. He wants $4,695 with the 60" deck.

It doesn't appear he has any other attachments for it, which is odd as most 445, 455 owners seems to have the deck and usually the front quick attach hitch and the 54" blade or 47" Two Stage Snow Thrower (I actually have both snow tools) and the ever popular MC519 Cart.........

So, Don, how many hours do you have on your 445 now, since you said you are on your way to 2,000 hours?
1957.5 hours. I had to go to the garage to check for sure. It won't hit 2000 this year, but will in early summer 2019. It only does half of the mowing now.

$4700 doesn't sound bad especially with so few hours.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
The fuse only protects the fuel system. When it quit, everything went dark. As soon as I connected everything from the new switch/module, the lights, warning lights, PTO and starter worked. Only the fuel pump was dead. If I thought that the fuse was even a remote possibility, I would be kicking myself in the arse. As it is, I'm only mad at myself for not checking the fuse before posting the question. It looked OK, but obviously wasn't.

1957.5 hours. I had to go to the garage to check for sure. It won't hit 2000 this year, but will in early summer 2019. It only does half of the mowing now.

$4700 doesn't sound bad especially with so few hours.
I was wrong, it's actually $4,600.......Here it is.............If you need another one, I will go check it out for you...:laugh:

https://swmi.craigslist.org/grd/d/john-deere-445-with-60-inch/6627468394.html

When I saw this machine I thought of Rydrplrs for some reason.....I think he was recently working on / with one of these.....

https://swmi.craigslist.org/grd/d/john-deere-rx75-riding/6627162528.html

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
My JD 285 had a problem where it would quit that seemed like lack of fuel.

At the time I was working 12hours/day, 6days a week, so I took it to the dealer.

They installed a new ignition switch and called it good. They said those ignition switches caused a lot of problems. :dunno:

I KNEW it was NOT getting fuel when it quit. So a new ignition switch :banghead:

After it's return from the dealer, I tried to mow. Less than 10 minutes it quit.

I called the dealer and they asked what I expected them to do. They said they had let it idle outside the shop for an hour and it never quit.

I told them come and get it and THIS TIME check the fuel system NOT the electrical.

It turned out there was plastic flashing (maybe mold flashing from the fuel tank) that was small enough to go through the fuel line but too small to enter the fuel filter. It would stop the fuel flow at the fuel filter and then later float away and allow it to run for a few minutes.

This time the repair was no charge. They also refunded what I paid for the first repair. :bigbeer:

I think my talking to the Service Manager made a big difference. I told him they had no reason to replace the ignition switch when I told them it was lack of fuel problem, then not do any real testing.

Reactions: DRobinson
1 - 13 of 13 Posts