Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 445 - which hadn't been used for about 10 years. The fuel pump didn't run (i bench tested it) so i purchased a new JD unit. Followed some great advice from another thread on this site ("John Deere 445 Fuel Problem"), and while everything was disassembled i cleaned out the tank, changed the fuel filter and purged all the lines with compressed air. Now that everything is back together, still no signs of life from the new fuel pump. I checked the 2 15-amp fuses on the main circuit board, and also checked the 20-amp fuse on its own pigtail - and they're all good. Replaced the fuel pump relay and the fuel injector relay. But there's only about 6 volts at the connector to the fuel pump. Any ideas what to check / replace next? Thanks...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Where are you measuring the 12 Volts at? I would start at the control board and verify 12 volts there and then work back toward the Fuel Pump. See attachment and be aware of the serial number break.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you measuring the 12 Volts at? I would start at the control board and verify 12 volts there and then work back toward the Fuel Pump. See attachment and be aware of the serial number break.
i measured it at the connector to the fuel pump - really expecting to see either 12 volts or no voltage at all. So i was surprised to see about 6.8V. i'll check it at the X2 Control Connector on the Board; if it shows 12V there, then there's a problem in the harness. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
907 Posts
There is a relay that controls the fuel pump, IIRC should be in the pedestal behind the control board. That relay socket could be corrosion issue causing voltage drop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i used the circuit diagnosis guide in info from Sundancer268 (very helpful - thanks!) and traced the problem to the Fuel Injection Control Module. Is there any point in spending $1300 on this machine to replace the module? It was maintained by the local JD dealer while in use from '93 to about '01 and has 560 hours on the meter. What kind of service life do they usually have?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have 1040+ hours on my 1994 vintage 445

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there any point in spending $1300

Thought it had to be a typo and that the part would actually be listed as 130, not 1300.
Wow.
What I'm seeing is $1,231.93 for a new one through JD (assuming I'm correct with part #AM121682).
I'd say rounding up to $1300 is fair considering you'll probably be there or beyond after taxes.

If it were me, I'd just buy another 445 for parts...you may be spending about the same (or maybe even less) as just the module.
Or maybe swap it with an engine from a carbureted 425?? ...I don't know if they can swap directly like that, but for $1300 I'd be looking at the option.

I saw a 425 go for $200 (that's not a typo...two hundred dollars) on facebook a couple weeks ago...listed as a parts mower, and my guess is they knew what they had but just wanted it GONE, FAST.
Even if you didn't get LUCKY and get a deal like that, you might be able to get a good deal on a mower with enough parts to make it worth it.

That's my thought process anyway.

David

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just a thought: If all the board is doing for the pump is switching a straight 12v (not some pulse width modulation nonsense), I'd wire up a relay to the 'run' side of the ignition switch to toggle battery power to the pump rather than spend $1,300 on it and possibly not even be all that's at fault. If you find a board at a reasonable price down the road you could always undo the workaround.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$1300 is more than my first car cost... so that's not likely to happen. I found a used module on eBay for $250; worth a shot given the condition and low hours on the machine. But if that doesn't work then the re-power approach probably makes the most sense.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have you inspected the plug and harness for the module looking for corrosion, pins not fully in place or bent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes - and unfortunately they all look OK. The FI module is housed in a plastic, foam-lined box - and this machine has always been stored in a garage, so there's very little corrosion anywhere. I followed the diagnostics in the file you posted, and voltage at one of the pins is way off (supposed to be 0.2V and it's reading full battery voltage)...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Guess it bit the dust, hopefully the used one is ok. Let us know when you get it back up and running.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Well, I have to say that the Fuel Injection Module is the most expensive single repair part I have ever seen for the 425 / 445 / 455 machines (excluding entire components, etc). A search of the part number shows that the 445 was the ONLY machine John Deere ever used this part number on.

Funny thing is, I have never seen anyone mention that module being replaced or the cause of any problems before and I searched GTT under 445 Fuel Injection Module and got "Nothing Found". I suppose that could be the culprit and the testing diagnostic sequence surely points there.........560 hours.....seems even more unusual.

Perhaps this is why the machine hasn't been used in 10 years.......

Ouch......Sure hope the "used one" from Ebay works for you.

Would like to see what's inside that module when the replacement comes in and solves your problem. Also, I wonder if any dealers keep that in stock. It says its available to be ordered, so its not showing as NLA, which is good......

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
When you do some searching for Kawasaki FD620D fuel injection module, I found this.......Not sure what's in the "Manual" but it appeared to be what the other person was searching for.......

I searched thinking that perhaps there is another source of these modules out there for the Kawasaki engine. Doesn't appear that is the case. It doesn't look like there is a lot of demand for these modules, but they are sold used and there are a number of them for sale, all around the $300 mark which is interesting, since the new one is $1,000 more.......I would expect the used modules to command more value.

Perhaps there is another source of these through some Kawasaki parts source which keeps the used price at nearly 1/5th the price of a new module...?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would think it is a Kawasaki part and used on many fuel injected engines by them. Only thing would be wiring harness differences.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I believe John Deere is the only manufacturer to use the Fuel Injected version of this engine. I have found a couple of Kawasaki Engine Service Manuals for the engine and none of them mention the Fuel Injection model, only the engine used in the 425. I am guessing this is s special engine made exclusively for John Deere. I noticed this in an old walk behind JD Snow Blower I had using the Tecumseh Snow King Engine. When my son ran it with out oil, he got a generic Snow King engine and had to buy a lot of other parts to adapt it to the snow blower, the crank shaft was a different diameter so the drive pullies would not fit, the electrical system was different so the head light would not work so I am not surprised the difficulty finding parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts