Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Everyone. I searched the forum but wasn't able to find a thread for this issue.. I was cutting lawn yesterday when my mower cut out..
All fluid levels are topped off. Has about 900hrs and regular servicing.
Was cutting law for about 5 min when the motor turned off. was like the key was turned off or the seat switch cut out.
Shut off the PTO, engaged the brake. I didn't hear the sound for the fuel pump,, but tried to start and it turns over by did not start.. tried several times..
got off and checked the fuses, all good. Light on panel, green..

Ran a jumper to bypass the seat switch. same thing..
Had a coffee...
on getting back onto the seat. I heard a sound... not heard before, like a solenoid that ran for a few seconds and cut out..
tractor started right up..
The sound may have been the fuel pump.. but was a way different sound..
cut lawn for a few minutes and again.. cut out..
this repeated a few times..
This sound, I can almost make it from dropping down onto the seat.. thinking fuel relay or fuel pump...
Any help or past experiences are appreciated.. my 455 is torn down with a leaky transmission and cutting 6 acres in 5 minute runs isn't great...

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you do not hear the sound of the fuel pump, it is probably not pumping fuel. Even we old-hard-of-hearing guys can hear it. There is a fuse and a relay. The fuse is easy to replace. The relay (on my 445 at least) is the same as another relay on the circuit board...just swap the plugs. You should hear the fuel pump.

Last year (I purchased my 445 new in 1997) I had the same problem "again" The fuse was good. Relay swap did not help...followed the test procedures in the tech service manual... I had corrosion in the fuse holder. I picked a fuse holder with pig tails up at my local hardware store (2 blocks from home). I cut the wires to the original fuse holder, replaced with the new one and could again hear the fuel pump.

All was good again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do not hear the sound of the fuel pump, it is probably not pumping fuel. Even we old-hard-of-hearing guys can hear it. There is a fuse and a relay. The fuse is easy to replace. The relay (on my 445 at least) is the same as another relay on the circuit board...just swap the plugs. You should hear the fuel pump.

Last year (I purchased my 445 new in 1997) I had the same problem "again" The fuse was good. Relay swap did not help...followed the test procedures in the tech service manual... I had corrosion in the fuse holder. I picked a fuse holder with pig tails up at my local hardware store (2 blocks from home). I cut the wires to the original fuse holder, replaced with the new one and could again hear the fuel pump.

All was good again.
Thank You Rob.. Ya.. I'm going to have to see where to start.. at the fuse may be the issue.. not sure what sitting down to hard moved and I could hear the pump I believe... maybe a grounded wire... will have some digging to do...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts