Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just recently bought a rear 540 PTO kit for my John Deere 445 and the cover was damaged. I found and bought another cover, but when attempting to disassemble the original, I could only get it to come partway apart (without forcing anything and taking a chance on damaging anything else!). Unfortunately, while I was wiggling and pulling to get the outer cover off some gears fell out and other things and now I have no idea how they go back in! I've googled for 3 hours and cannot find any pictures or explosion views of this thing to see how it all goes back together! :( Can anyone steer me in the right direction or help me out here, please? Anything would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Continuing saga of 445 PTO

Thanks, all! I have the PTO reassembled and ready to put on, which seems to be fairly straightforward and easy, but now have run into a snag on page 3, where it talks about plugging the PTO module into the AM121071 Wire Harness that I don't have! I found the Yellow and Blue wires that are connected, but not the 3-pin and 4-pin connectors that are supposed to be there! Thought about buying a newer wiring harness and rewiring the entire tractor, but that seems like a nightmare of epic proportions and don't think it will solve anything, because I'd then need a PTO jump wire that's also not available!

So, it looks like the missing wiring harness is going to put this project on hold till I can find this elusive AM121071 Wire Harness. Now, I'm wondering, can I go ahead and finish putting the rear unit back together and at least button it up to use the tractor for mowing? If it's possible, should I reattach the wire that plugs in to the rear of the PTO cover? What, exactly, does that thing do? If I hadn't taken all the plugs and stuff out of the original cover and installed everything into the new PTO cover I'd just pop that back on and go. I'm thinking I could just use it like it didn't have the rear PTO kit bolted on for now, till I can find the needed harness, right?

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
My guess is the switches tell the module which PTO is running. It then tells the dash what light to turn ON.

I would put it together

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Thanks, all! I have the PTO reassembled and ready to put on, which seems to be fairly straightforward and easy, but now have run into a snag on page 3, where it talks about plugging the PTO module into the AM121071 Wire Harness that I don't have! I found the Yellow and Blue wires that are connected, but not the 3-pin and 4-pin connectors that are supposed to be there! Thought about buying a newer wiring harness and rewiring the entire tractor, but that seems like a nightmare of epic proportions and don't think it will solve anything, because I'd then need a PTO jump wire that's also not available!

So, it looks like the missing wiring harness is going to put this project on hold till I can find this elusive AM121071 Wire Harness.

Now, I'm wondering, can I go ahead and finish putting the rear unit back together and at least button it up to use the tractor for mowing? YES

If it's possible, should I reattach the wire that plugs in to the rear of the PTO cover? YES

What, exactly, does that thing do? If we are talking about the same thing, its a switch which indicates the PTO is operating and also part of the Safety Switch system which should disengage the PTO if you are not on the machine, etc.

If I hadn't taken all the plugs and stuff out of the original cover and installed everything into the new PTO cover I'd just pop that back on and go. I'm thinking I could just use it like it didn't have the rear PTO kit bolted on for now, till I can find the needed harness, right? Sure would seem so.
See my answers in RED.

Trying to rewire the tractor entirely is not only a MASSIVE project, its expensive.

Just a question, how did you end up with a rear PTO kit without the necessary wiring harnesses? Was it a take off of a parted out machine? If so, that machine should have the harness you need.........

Make certain if you run the machine and the front PTO (Mid PTO which drives the mower) that your selector lever for the PTO you just installed is positioned for just the original PTO shaft to drive your deck.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn your rear PTO works without the harness, its just that it might not work as it should without the safety switches. In other words, when you engage the PTO yellow knob on the dash and the lever is positioned to drive the new rear PTO, I would imagine that it would spin without the wiring harness. The only problem is that it might not stop spinning once you need it to from a safety perspective which is something you want to be aware of.

Generally, when you engage the PTO switch, it releases the PTO brake and allows the PTO clutch to engage because of the valve routing fluid to the clutch and lifting the brake band within the rear end assembly permitting the clutch to spin. If you have the lever positioned to drive the front PTO or the rear PTO and the PTO actually engages when you lift the yellow switch knob, I would imagine either would work. Problem is, the rear PTO won't have the ability to sense the need to stop it should you exit the machine. Also, the PTO light on your dash will probably illuminate and there isn't anything on the dash of that machine that I know of which will indicate the difference between Mid PTO and Rear PTO being in operation, like there is on some other newer machines.

Just be very careful with what you are doing. Since the parts you added work off the same activation as the Mid PTO, and it's just the physical position of the lever which determines whether it's the mid PTO or rear PTO which is spinning, proceed carefully. Also, make sure the PTO shaft has stopped spinning before engaging the lever to change from mid to rear PTO as that will cause damage for sure if you attempt to switch the choice of driver output shaft without the inner workings having stopped completely.

Let us know what you find out......

Also, what did you find about the harness you need? Not available or have to order it. etc.? This image shows the harness you need, I am pretty sure....the image is in the box on the right and you have to navigate within the box to see it, but it should be what you need.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt?wvsessionid=cd61738c15014d68a479d510a2188599

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
From what I can see, you are going to have a couple of choices for your AM121071 wiring harness.

Where I would start...

First, John Deere shows the prt number AM121071 as NLA (No Longer Available). There are places who sell close out parts online. Your dealer can run a "Machine Down" parts request and it checks every participating dealer's inventory and it also checks with after market and third party sources for parts availability for New Old stock and hard to find parts. That is where you should start before you go much further......If they simply can't find what you need, then take the next steps necessary. But the dealers parts counter and their ability to search is pretty thorough for searching "NEW" "Official" and related John Deere parts sources. Personally go to the dealer to do this, don't expect them to do this over the phone as it takes some time and if you are there in person, they know you are serious. If you try to do this over the phone they might just check their store inventory and tell you "Nope, sorry". A really goods parts counter person can be very helpful in this situation.

Second, find a used one. Problem is the rest of the parts as a kit won't work without it, so you very unlikely to get someone to split the harness out of a tractor with the REAR PTO without the rest of the parts. While someone may need the gears or rear plate and pieces, anyone looking to add the rear PTO to a machine without it is stuck without the harness (as you now find yourself) so getting a used one is going to be TOUGH.......

You have gotten the kit from someone. Did they have the harness on their machine or available? Where did you get the replacement plate you needed as that raises the very same issues about that unit having the wiring harness you need?

Third, you could make the harness and buy the relay needed separately. You will need the schematics for the tractor to know how to do this correctly and you will need the connectors to snap in the harness. You can buy the connectors to work with your OEM harness and you should make sure to use them to have this done correctly. But before getting into this too far, find out exactly what you need in terms of other relays or switches as that can be a stumbling block even once you have the harness made.

Be extremely careful about "Splicing in" a self made harness into your tractor's harness if you can't locate the connectors. Once you start cutting into factory harnesses to add something like this, you are opening your set up to a bunch of new problems now and down the road. From corrosion to short circuiting something, a lot can go wrong doing this.....

If I were in your shoes, I would get my hands on a John Deere Factory Technical Service Manual with the full tractor wiring diagrams and schematics and use that to build the harness you need if steps one and two don't pan out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
From what I can see, you are going to have a couple of choices for your AM121071 wiring harness.

Where I would start...

First, John Deere shows the prt number AM121071 as NLA (No Longer Available). There are places who sell close out parts online. Your dealer can run a "Machine Down" parts request and it checks every participating dealer's inventory and it also checks with after market and third party sources for parts availability for New Old stock and hard to find parts. That is where you should start before you go much further......If they simply can't find what you need, then take the next steps necessary. But the dealers parts counter and their ability to search is pretty thorough for searching "NEW" "Official" and related John Deere parts sources. Personally go to the dealer to do this, don't expect them to do this over the phone as it takes some time and if you are there in person, they know you are serious. If you try to do this over the phone they might just check their store inventory and tell you "Nope, sorry". A really goods parts counter person can be very helpful in this situation.

I have been to one dealer and the parts counter guy just told me that anything for that is no longer available and didn't seem interested in going any further. I do have one other dealer a bit further away that I'm going to go see, tho.

Second, find a used one. Problem is the rest of the parts as a kit won't work without it, so you very unlikely to get someone to split the harness out of a tractor with the REAR PTO without the rest of the parts. While someone may need the gears or rear plate and pieces, anyone looking to add the rear PTO to a machine without it is stuck without the harness (as you now find yourself) so getting a used one is going to be TOUGH.......

You have gotten the kit from someone. Did they have the harness on their machine or available? Where did you get the replacement plate you needed as that raises the very same issues about that unit having the wiring harness you need?

I'm not sure how he happened to be in possession of this unit, but it was the only one I could find at the time (after looking for about 2 months), and it was only available for local pickup (in Texas, and I'm in NY), but I managed to get him to ship it to me. He was very helpful and double checked my serial number with his sources, etc, and sent the PTO module for it, but that was the only electrical item in the box. He said it came off a newer tractor that didn't need the harness and never had one. Of course, this was just in the last day or so, when I discovered I needed it!

Third, you could make the harness and buy the relay needed separately. You will need the schematics for the tractor to know how to do this correctly and you will need the connectors to snap in the harness. You can buy the connectors to work with your OEM harness and you should make sure to use them to have this done correctly. But before getting into this too far, find out exactly what you need in terms of other relays or switches as that can be a stumbling block even once you have the harness made.

Be extremely careful about "Splicing in" a self made harness into your tractor's harness if you can't locate the connectors. Once you start cutting into factory harnesses to add something like this, you are opening your set up to a bunch of new problems now and down the road. From corrosion to short circuiting something, a lot can go wrong doing this.....

I spent a number of years installing car stereos and HATE people who cut and hack wiring, so that will not happen! ;)

If I were in your shoes, I would get my hands on a John Deere Factory Technical Service Manual with the full tractor wiring diagrams and schematics and use that to build the harness you need if steps one and two don't pan out.
I bought a Technical cd, but really would like to get the printed copy! Thanks so much for your helpful input!

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts

Just a question, how did you end up with a rear PTO kit without the necessary wiring harnesses? Was it a take off of a parted out machine? If so, that machine should have the harness you need.........

I think the answer is there was a serial number break and newer tractors did not require the harness. And he has the older tractor, but bought a kit for a newer model.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I think the answer is there was a serial number break and newer tractors did not require the harness. And he has the older tractor, but bought a kit for a newer model.
I sure didn't see any references anywhere to the serial numbers on the rear PTO kit for the 445 / 455, and I even looked up the kit itself as well as the wiring harness to see if it gave any break points for harness.......nothing based upon build numbers, etc.

That is a Tuff Torque K-91 rear end assembly in those machines that was also used on other machines than the Deere (Craftsman, Simplicity and a couple of others if I recall), with some slight variations. But there are also switches which are included as part of all the kits which mount in the new rear housing cover so I think there is a harness required on all of them, to the best of my knowledge......

I think finding that harness is going to be tough. I just found the entire tractor for sale locally with the rear PTO and the 3 point hitch. That's the first one of those I have seen in some time. The rear PTO's on these machines are just not real common around here.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
I was only a wild guess, my next wild guess is he bought an "open box" kit, OR bought from someone that removed it and did not know the harness should go with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yes, it was a used kit. I found 2 different used kits on Craigslist, but they were for local pickup only and way too far away to go get. They also looked to be WELL used and very high priced. I ran across another poster who listed several 445 parts and gave a number to call in case I wanted something not listed. I called him up and asked if he had a rear 540 PTO for a 445 and he said maybe, depending on what my serial number was. After checking he said that yes, he had a kit and sent me several pictures of it and told me that the case had been damaged and repaired, but was completely serviceable. He thought it looked as though someone had backed into something and cracked it. There were pictures of several items that were described as "Not included with this kit". He said that those were items that were for a newer model and mine didn't need them. At any rate, that's the "kit" I got. What's curious about it is that one of the items pictured that wasn't supposed to be included was the PTO Module, but when I opened the box it was in there. I concluded that he may have decided that I needed it after all and included it. The funny thing is that the module is available everywhere, but it needs the AM121071 Wire Harness which isn't available anywhere! That's the long story of my PTO kit ;)

Now, the night before last I finally got the PTO installed onto the tractor and all buttoned up and it was getting dark on me so before putting the seat and fender back on, it fired it up and pulled up on the PTO switch to see if anything worked, and voila, both the center and rear PTO were spinning! I tried the different positions of the rear PTO lever and could see one position that looked like it turned off the rear PTO, but by this time was too dark to see if the one under was spinning. Mind you, this is with no wiring hooked up, other than the two wires going to the PTO Actuator, like on the original cover. The two things on the the 540 PTO cover with the wires hanging out weren't plugged into anything. I assume those would plug into the missing PTO Jumper wire on a newer model? At any rate it all seemed to work, at least mechanically!

So, last night when I got home I had about an hour before it would be dark and put the fender and seat back on and fired it up and NOTHING! Now, I haven't had the tractor that long and ever since I bought it the PTO operation has been a little flaky. Oftentimes I pull up on the PTO knob and nothing... no dash light and no operation. I have to turn it off and on a couple of times to get it to work. I thought maybe it was just doing that again, but this time the dash light would come on but no PTO activity at all. Nothing spinning, either at the rear or underneath, no matter which position I had the lever in the back. The only thing I can think is maybe I pinched the wires going to the PTO actuator when I put the fender on, as I had to struggle a bit to get the seat safety wire up thru the hole while holding it up, but took it back off and don't see any damage to the wires. The PTO actuator parts that go down in the case looked ok when I took them out of the old case and put them into the new case, but didn't slide in and out as easily as I thought they should. I pushed down and the spring would pop it back out, but I questioned it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Check the PTO solenoid connector check for voltage (it will be either the switch or the PTO solenoid). Once you have identified the problem, it may be as simple as clean them, but it may require replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks for the input! This afternoon my son helped me to take the fenders back off and between the two of us brainstorming and reading all of the instructions on the PTO installation, etc, we decided that the ONLY thing we hadn't tried is to torque the actuator nut to the 43 inch pounds that seems is required. So, off to the parts store to buy a smaller torque wrench, since mine is a big ft/lb with 1/2" drive which is a bit of overkill for that. I torqued the nut to 40, and it started to slip, so figured that was far enough. Since it started out at around 20 I thought we might be getting somewhere if that really is important.

So, with that done, I started up the tractor and as soon as I let off on the brake the PTO started spinning! I thought WOW, it's fixed! But then, the PTO knob on the dash was turned off while this was happening, so for grins I pulled up on it and the PTO dash light came on but the unit stopped. When I pushed the knob back down it wouldn't start back up, either! The only way I could get it to start up was to shut off the tractor, make sure the PTO knob was down, push in the brake and start it back up. As soon as it started, I let off the brake and the PTO took off spinning!

So, since my first goal is to get it together enough to mow the grass I figured I would just live with it this way as long as I could mow. So, we sat the fender/seat back on there and popped the taillights back into their sockets and dragged the deck back under there and hooked it up. NOW the blasted PTO won't spin no matter what combinations I try! If I had any hair I would have it all pulled out by now ;) haha

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
I sure didn't see any references anywhere to the serial numbers on the rear PTO kit for the 445 / 455, and I even looked up the kit itself as well as the wiring harness to see if it gave any break points for harness.......nothing based upon build numbers, etc.

That is a Tuff Torque K-91 rear end assembly in those machines that was also used on other machines than the Deere (Craftsman, Simplicity and a couple of others if I recall), with some slight variations. But there are also switches which are included as part of all the kits which mount in the new rear housing cover so I think there is a harness required on all of them, to the best of my knowledge......

I think finding that harness is going to be tough. I just found the entire tractor for sale locally with the rear PTO and the 3 point hitch. That's the first one of those I have seen in some time. The rear PTO's on these machines are just not real common around here.
JD had three different serial number breaks for the rear PTO wiring. below S/N 31361, 31362-70000, & 70001 up. This s for the 445, different S/N breaks for 425 & 455, plus different S/N breaks for 2WS and AWS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts