Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 445 that started giving me issues last summer with not wanting to start, ultimately I think it's one of two things, either the engine pulsing coil or the fuel injector. I've got a guy who has a ton of parts for 445s and 435s so I swapped out quite a few things like coils and the ignition module with no change. I took the pulsing coil off and cleaned up the magnet and the contacts on motor. One thing I noticed was that the magnet is really small, like it's worn away after all these years. The only other thing I noticed is that both wires to the injector, the ones in the plug at the injector are both have their sheathing frayed with wires exposed. I wrapped them up best I could. Ultimately I got the tractor started (this past Sunday), not sure if it was cleaning up the pulsing coil or if it was a situation where the injector wires are broke and I simply moved them enough to cause them to work.

Tonight I went to start it and nada. same thing. turns over wont start. took a look at the pulsing coil, looked fine. did the old shimmy shake on the injector wires and it started. I hooked up my mower deck (60") pulled the PTO and the tractor stumbled pretty badly. Once the deck was up to speed I tried to drive forward and I had almost no power to move. Disengaged the deck and the mower came back.

I am going to test the resistance of the injector and the injector itself tomorrow. Could I bypass the harness to the injector? Just find the corresponding wires on the other side of the harness and hard wire it? Could these frayed wires be causing the loss in power by interfering with the voltage to the injector? I can get another pulsing coil but not if it's probably not the culprit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have you checked the connector plug on the engine control mdule on the left side of the steering column? It is behind a plastic cover screwed to the drivers side of the tractor. Have you verified you have spark to both cylinders? I did have to change the fuel injector on my 1994 vintage 445 last year, it would flood the drivers side cylinder when setting overnight and eventually after only a few minutes setting shut off. The injector was leaking and the design of the throttle body allowed the dripping fuel to enter the left cylinder. There is no reason you could not direct wire from the engine control computer to the injector, it just makes future repair harder. Have you checked the fuel pump pressure at the throttle body?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you checked the connector plug on the engine control mdule on the left side of the steering column? It is behind a plastic cover screwed to the drivers side of the tractor. Have you verified you have spark to both cylinders? I did have to change the fuel injector on my 1994 vintage 445 last year, it would flood the drivers side cylinder when setting overnight and eventually after only a few minutes setting shut off. The injector was leaking and the design of the throttle body allowed the dripping fuel to enter the left cylinder. There is no reason you could not direct wire from the engine control computer to the injector, it just makes future repair harder. Have you checked the fuel pump pressure at the throttle body?
I reseated and used a little dielectric grease on the engine module when i first started troubleshooting. Spark is good now, wasn't before though, not until i cleaned up the pulser coil. Fuel pump seems to be fine. I ran the fuel line into a bottle and it had good pressure. I could hook up my fuel pressure gauge and see what it's reading and compare it to spec.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I don't know what else to suggest. On my 445 last spring I did some major preventative repairs, replacing the Head Gaskets, found the left one was failing, I replaced the Plastic Oil Pump Gear, Plastic Governor Gear and the fuel injector. At that time I cleaned all the electrical connectors I needed to remove for my repairs. I had 1040 hours on the tractor at that time. Before that I had chased power problems, replacing an ignition coil and plugs and wires to no avail. After the work and replacing the injector it is running great. I am not sure you are having the same problem, as it always my left cylinder that was not working when started up. After running on one cylinder, the left would finally start to cut in and the tractor ran great until I shut it off and let it set for a while. I finally discovered my left spark plug was wet from gasoline and if I pulled it and placed my propane torch at the spark plug hole and on the wet plug it would run and start great immediately. It was then I started looking carefully at the injector. I didn't want to jump to conclusions as the injector is expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel injector resistance was within spec. tested it by jumpering it off the battery, clicked like I would expect. bypassed the frayed wires and harness. all sensors were resistance tested and all were within spec (map (even tested voltage increase and drop with vacuum and pressure), air temp, water temp, etc.). Tractor wouldn't start again tonight. took the pulsing coil off, hit it with some sandpaper, reinstalled it....started right up, but still had the bogging issue. At this point I have to assume the pulser is the issue unless someone thinks that it can't be causing the issue. That sort of stuff is beyond me. I'm guessing that it's worn and not energizing properly but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the pulser did the trick for the starting issue. part came in last night. went out this morning would not start. replaced the pulser, started right up. bogging issue remains though. the mower struggles but after about 5-10 seconds the deck is spun up to what I feel is normal RPM. The minute I try and move forward, it wants to die. I haven't even tried to engage the deck while moving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All fixed. Found that the left cylinder's coil wiring was bad at the harness on top of the pulser issue. Tractor was only running on one cylinder. Re-wired and now it's back at full power. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts