Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cutting fine and all of a sudden machine makes a quick turn. Seems the left side lost power or drive. Inspected visual underneath and nothing obvious belt in place. Ideas? Out of warranty as it’s a 2015 machine. Prior owner didn’t use it much and I got it with 27 hours a couple of months ago.

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts
There are several pieces of linkage directly attached to the steering levers which could have come disconnected. There are also pins and clips which might be involved. Here is the schematic linkage link to the parts page. Please note there is also a serial number break so double check your VIN number to make sure the parts schematic is the right one for your machine.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
455 Posts
My first thought here is the...MIU802028 Bypass Lever that has been moved so the transmission can be free to move.. like pushing the mower. It's located on top of the transmission and could have been turn to free the gears. Otherwise, it probably inside the transmission that had broken.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was cutting fine and all of a sudden machine makes a quick turn. Seems the left side lost power or drive. Inspected visual underneath and nothing obvious belt in place. Ideas? Out of warranty as it’s a 2015 machine. Prior owner didn’t use it much and I got it with 27 hours a couple of months ago.
Update. Jacked up machine. Verify right side power is good. Left side no movement forward or reverse. Shut down the right side will turn by hand and the cooling fax on top spins. When I do this on the left wheel turns but no spin of the fan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first thought here is the...MIU802028 Bypass Lever that has been moved so the transmission can be free to move.. like pushing the mower. It's located on top of the transmission and could have been turn to free the gears. Otherwise, it probably inside the transmission that had broken.
Checked that. Did so when I had to push it into the garage. There is no diff in rotation of left wheeel no matter what position the lever is in.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
455 Posts
Understand your concerns. So, lets leave the right side "Bypass lever" in the lock position...no free wheeling as they say. In this position on the right transmission, can you move the right tire...you shouldn't be able to turn the tire in the drive (lever) position, only in the free wheel.

Now, do the same with the left side with the Bypass lever in the drive not the free wheel position and turn the left tire. If you can turn the tire with the Bypass lever in the drive position, you have lost a gear or something not working in the transmission.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removed transaxle and found this broken.

F038A41E-3A6C-4ADA-BF46-A70AEBF2FF55.jpeg
Understand your concerns. So, lets leave the right side "Bypass lever" in the lock position...no free wheeling as they say. In this position on the right transmission, can you move the right tire...you shouldn't be able to turn the tire in the drive (lever) position, only in the free wheel.

Now, do the same with the left side with the Bypass lever in the drive not the free wheel position and turn the left tire. If you can turn the tire with the Bypass lever in the drive position, you have lost a gear or something not working in the transmission.

·
Registered
455 Posts

OUCH! Bad situation you have there. Appears a spring broke causing couple others to do the same and from that you have a major repair job, or at best a new or used Hydro-Gear transaxle to be replaced.

On the transaxle you have....left side should show a plate or label the Hydro-Gear Model number....Something like ZH-JCBC-3K2C-2LL1 numbers. There available repair kit, but, they run about $500.00, and you may luck out searching ebay for a used one that will replace the one you have....and that means you must find a "exact" model.

Do you have a Hydro-Gear repair/parts catalog/manual?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OUCH! Bad situation you have there. Appears a spring broke causing couple others to do the same and from that you have a major repair job, or at best a new or used Hydro-Gear transaxle to be replaced.

On the transaxle you have....left side should show a plate or label the Hydro-Gear Model number....Something like ZH-JCBC-3K2C-2LL1 numbers. There available repair kit, but, they run about $500.00, and you may luck out searching ebay for a used one that will replace the one you have....and that means you must find a "exact" model.

Do you have a Hydro-Gear repair/parts catalog/manual?
Contacted tufftorq direct. It’s the brand of transaxle I have. Whole replacement transaxle was 999. Rebuild kit which includes the scored up assembly and both pump and motor, oil and seals was 375. It will be here in a couple of days. My first tranny rebuild attempt. Cross my fingers.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
455 Posts
Something kind out of shape here. I found where Hydro-Gear transaxles were installed in the Z655 mowers, not Tuff Torg. Whatever, Tuff Torg are good at making good transaxles and having parts (kits) to replace broken ones. I suggest you write or photo each step you make in disassembling the unit, and write down where bolt size goes. (mainly the lengths that matter) And of all things, apply enough sealant (gasket cement) to the flanges, otherwise you will be making repairs again.

Keep the forum here informed on the ourcome and good luck...take your time at the kit repair.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well ended up replacing the entire transaxle from tufftorqs. Worked great. Not to bad a job. Update........at 57 hours the exact same thing happened. Contacted tufftorq and they sent out a warranty replacement. Got it in two days. They wanted the removed unit back and they paid the freight both ways. Installed the replacement unit today, but unable to finish up belt and check out. Will advise how it goes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Might be a good time to Bail out on this one.

Some things were just not meant to be.

If the fix is way costly...I'd look at any other machine. Dump it and don't look back.

If it fits your style and your prepared to follow your footsteps again...Hang in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts