Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4520 keeps blowing fuses. New starter installed recently. Clean the air cleaner compartment recently. Did a little finish mowing with it and shut it down. Went to turn the key to start it up, nothing. Replaced the starters fuse and key lit everthing up for a bit, then blew the fuse again. Replaced with a 25amp, blew it again. Any ideas?

· Registered
1,326 Posts
That one powers a number of equipment. Any one piece can cause the fuse to blow.
I don't have the full schematic / wiring diagram, but that would be the thing to check... what is that fuse powering, and then check it.
of course it could be a chafed wire in the harness / shorting to ground.....

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check that and battery. The ignition switch is a 30amp (not 25). No other fuses are blowing. Just bought the rig and it was purring like a cat for about an hour. Hope it's an easy fix.
Thanks

· Registered
1,326 Posts
can't see it being the battery.
May want to spend the $100 or so, and get the tech manual... good for future use, and will give you schematics to look at and help troublesheet / narrow down the problem....

· Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
766 Posts
Replaced the starters fuse and key lit everything up for a bit, then blew the fuse again. Replaced with a 25amp, blew it again. Any ideas?
When you say "replaced the starters fuse and key lit everything up for a bit, then blew the fuse again", what fuse are you calling the "starters fuse"?

The 30A F1 fuse provides power to the key switch which provides switched power for the ACC, Run, and Start positions. Not just when starting.

If you just turn the key switch from Off to Run (and don't try to start the engine), does it sit like that forever and not blow the F1 fuse?

Have any fuses besides the F1 fuse ever blown?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say "replaced the starters fuse and key lit everything up for a bit, then blew the fuse again", what fuse are you calling the "starters fuse"?

The 30A F1 fuse provides power to the key switch which provides switched power for the ACC, Run, and Start positions. Not just when starting.

If you just turn the key switch from Off to Run (and don't try to start the engine), does it sit like that forever and not blow the F1 fuse?

Have any fuses besides the F1 fuse ever blown?
Yup, it just sets there until I try to click the starter. The 30 amp F01 is the only one blowing.

· Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
766 Posts
Yup, it just sets there until I try to click the starter. The 30 amp F01 is the only one blowing.
Ok, so if I understand correctly, the F1 fuse only blows when you try to use the starter.

You mention in your first post that a new starter was installed recently. Is it a JD starter, or something else?

You also mention in your first post that you replaced the blown 30A fuse with a 25A fuse. Have you tried installing a 30A fuse?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts